Type of glazing used ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just had some folding sliding doors installed and was made clear to the supplier that I need very efficient glazing to satisfy building control and that only Soft Coat low 'E' Argon filled would be suitable.

The doors were installed today whist I was at work and they gave the sticker from the glazing to my wife.

The stickers states the glass is:

4mm Toughned K
20mm Silver Spacer
4mm Toughned
Argon gas

There is no other information on the sticker. Does this imply that Pilkington K glass has been used (not Soft coat Low E). Also i was told a warm edge spacer would be used but there is no mention of that on the sticker either. Could it be the information is missing or have they supplied me less efficient glass.

I've contacted the installer asking for confirmation of the 'U' value but he has yet to get back to me.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have just had some folding sliding doors installed and was made clear to the supplier that I need very efficient glazing to satisfy building control and that only Soft Coat low 'E' Argon filled would be suitable.

The doors were installed today whist I was at work and they gave the sticker from the glazing to my wife.

The stickers states the glass is:

4mm Toughned K
20mm Silver Spacer
4mm Toughned
Argon gas

There is no other information on the sticker. Does this imply that Pilkington K glass has been used (not Soft coat Low E). Also i was told a warm edge spacer would be used but there is no mention of that on the sticker either. Could it be the information is missing or have they supplied me less efficient glass.

I've contacted the installer asking for confirmation of the 'U' value but he has yet to get back to me.

Any advice much appreciated.

yes they have used K glass (hard coat low-E) and a silver spacer is a standard one.
how annoying! well at least they left the sticker on so you can pick them up on it. hopefully you placed the order in writing to prove you asked for soft coat and warm edge spacer. you may well find that the root of the problem is that they don't even supply that spec and would have to get it in from elsewhere.

Yes I got in writing to have Soft Coat Low 'E'. I even made a point of it before ordering and was assured they only ever used Soft coat Low 'E'. The thing is these doors cost over £7000 and were supposed to be the highest spec. I contacted the glazing suppliers who supplied the company I purchased the doors from and they confirmed that if the sticker was as I stated then they are Pilkington K. They started to backtrack and said that they did a similar job to softcoat low E but I pointed out I needed the windows to be below 1.7U and they said that pilkington K was below this so was OK. I then went on to say that the 1.7U was the value required for the overall windows not just the glazing, he didn't seem to think that was correct. I've stopped the cheque to the company because they have failed to answer my e-mails although it being a bank holiday I expect to hear from them on Tuesday. Do you think I am within my rights to expect the comapny to come and replace all the glazing with Softcoat Low E if that what I specified or are they going to try and say Pilkington K is the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Do you think I am within my rights to expect the comapny to come and replace all the glazing with Softcoat Low E if that what I specified or are they going to try and say Pilkington K is the same thing.
Yes and Yes.
As you know there is a big difference in U value between hard and soft coat glass. The Ug value can be as low as 1.1 for soft-coat with argon fill and warmedge spacer.
As an alternative you could ask them to give you a hefty discount on the glass - like 50% at least. Otherwise come and change them for what you ordered. Or you don't pay at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back