Type of paint for room divider

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished installing some room divider panels from BnQ. I have used the good home alara range as seen in the link below.

These are paintable according to the instructions/website but i cant find any information anywhere regarding the type of paint i should use. I have my emulsion already to match my other walls but the panels and metal divider post will obviosuly need some kind of undercoat first? Anyone any idea's as to what type of paint i should be looking at for the job?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Emulsion will not damage the exiting coatings but it will, as you suspect, be prone to chipping.

From what I have read thus far, it simply says that the panels have a lacquer finish.

You could purchase a primer such as ESP and cross your fingers, or email B&Q.

With out further info, at a minimum, if you were to emulsion the metal poles at the end, I would be inclined to recommend coating those parts with a clear water based varnish to minimise dirty hand prints.

Edit- even if they are pre-sprayed, I would lightly scuff the surface with 320 grit paper before allying any undercoat.

Thanks for that opps, rang Bnq this morning who were useless...........i hung up when they passed me onto the 4th person who 'could give me advice'........complete joke of a 'service'

Emulsion on the metal poles isnt going to cut it i dont think, i did try a sample area and the paint just chips off. Your correct about the panels having a lacquered coating, bit like you see with flat pack furniture where its wood with the layering ontop.

Am not 100% sure what you mean by ESP primer, is there a product you know of from screwfix/toolstation ect so i could have a look?

Apologies, i am a complete decorating rookie!

Regards.

For the panels it just says sand them down and use any emulsion, for the metalwork I'd use a satinwood, as you would for a radiator for example.

Sponsored Links
As above, I would go for oil based eggshell or oil based satinwood on the poles (after keying the poles with sandpaper). Neither, technically require undercoat.

I am less inclined to recommend water based versions of the above because of durability, but I anticipate that others will disagree (as is their right).

Unfortunately neither Toolstation nor Screwfix mix colours though. If you don't have a decorators' merchant that is accessible, I have recently found a website that has free delivery on mixed paints/etc over £30. I have used them a few times and have been happy with both the prices and delivery times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back