Paint cracking due to seasonal changes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just needed a bit of advice on what to use.....

I have a hardwood front door and the paint continually cracks around the panelling due to seasonal changes. My question is whether there is some type of paintable flexible silicon sealant available that can be used in these areas to help prevent this type of paint cracking problem??

Many thanks in advance for your help guys.....

Sponsored Links
Here is what I would do. Is the door painted white or a colour or stained and varnished. If it is stained then try the following with putty instead of filler/caulk.
You haven't provided an image so it is difficult to know whether caulk or filler would be best. But here is what I would try:
Sand it down well, sand over the cracking areas as well. Undercoat it with an oil based undercoat, sand it gently again and fill the cracks with either caulk or filler depending on their style and size. When the filler is dry (gently sand it down, along with the rest of the door before undercoating again, and then a very gentle sanding again before finishing with Satin or Silk oil based.

*If filling with caulk, you won't sand over the caulk as it will just fall out if you do. So just the rest of the door and then follow the same instructions. I'm not guaranteeing that it will work, but it is what I would try first as someone who used to work as a painter.

Sponsored Links
I think caulk is the way to go, its just what brand of caulk to use. Something low modulus I would presume which expands/contracts with the weather and is over-paintable. Anybody know a good brand to use??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back