Type of windows allowed in ground floor extensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering placing an extension on the rear of my house. A small extension (1m deep x 3 m wide) already exisits and I want to make this bigger (3m deep x4m wide). I want to put two small side windows in. These are 2 1/2m from my boundary. I have been told by the planners that these new windows must be obscure glass and non opening. A side window already exisits in the extension whose surface area is larger than the two new windows combined. I would like clear glass. Do the planning rules prevent this? If so can you tell me which ones?

Sponsored Links
Planners are getting confused with upper floor windows. There is no such restriction on ground floor windows - assuming you comply with all other criteria for permitted development.

As above, they're referring to windows in the side elevations on the upper floors, not at ground floor level.

Anyway, the bit about non-opening... that's not entirely correct. They can be opening but they are to have NO openings below 1.7m from floor level, so you would be looking at fanlight type windows. But as mentioned, that is for windows in the upper floors and not at ground floor level.

Under Building Reg's, just make sure they're thermally compliant, installed by somebody registered to do so (or by submitting a BR application) and that the amount of glass/openings do not exceed the maximum un-protected areas, in accordance with Approved Document B.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back