Tyre Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Early yesterday morning (about 1am) a fire broke out at a Tyre depot round the corner from where I work. I drive pretty close to it, about 200yds away.

Firefighters are still on the scene fighting the blaze, from Manchester and Merseyside - this is in the heart of South Yorkshire. Homeowners nearby have been evacuated.

Now, why does it take so long to fight a tyre blaze? The main road nearby has been closed, and an officer stationed at the roundabout to stop anyone entering - he is wearing a chemical breathing mask! All up the dual carriageway through Mexborough, it stinks, and I bet most of the shops in the town centre smell too. Given the "thickness" of the stench, I am surprised there have only been two streets evacuated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/10430823.stm

Yesterday morning, you could see thick black smoke billowing from the site, but now its white, and appears to be hanging in the air, more likely steam, or some byproduct of the foam. But the stench is horrendous.

And why are tyres stockpiled in these backstreet depots? A quick look on google earth can find many of these places. But given the frequency of these fires, lapse security measures to prevent them, and the toxic consequences when they happen, surely there should be some better regulations regarding tyre handling. Why does anyone need 120,000 tyres on one site? :confused:

Sponsored Links
This story has been completely 'inflated'.........

In fact..... 'blown-up' out of all proportion.......

Then again........ the emergency services have worked 'tyrelessly'

:LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I think the main reason they burn so well is that they are hollow and act like a chimney even when just generally scattered.

Also, they smoulder even when the fire appears to be out and need watching. There were two incidents where i used to live about 5 years ago and one lasted over a week till the brigade was happy.

Tyres are made with oil. Fact. Mostly I think these recycling fires are caused by the owners, due to the expense of recycling, so a handy fire destroys the stock, and thus reduces overheads, and can claim on the insurance.

There was, maybe still is a buried tyre dump in Wales that can`t be extinguished :idea: My M8 Dai Francis was always playing round there ;)

Sponsored Links
Back