Tyre Management Service Light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Normally I only drive local, with occasional short runs of speed at around 50-55mph, but on Tuesday I had to go to Addenbrookes hospital in Cambridge, (a round trip of about 90-95 miles). On the A14 and A11 I was able to do 65-70mph for quite a few miles. Car ran well and had no problems. Once I got back to Bury St Edmunds my speed obviously dropped to around 30mph. Leaving BSE to come home and a warning message came up saying, 'Tyre Management Service,. In the next dial there was a flashing symbol of a cross sectional tyre. Both signs stayed lit for about 30-45 seconds. I presumed I may have a slow puncture so pulled into a side street and scrolled through the menus to find the Tyre Management Service code. I checked the tyre pressures and they were all at 39 so seemed good. Had a few places to go before coming home and had no more problems with warnings.
Today, had to go back to the hospital and did a bit of shopping on a retail estate before returning home via BSE again. No problems driving there or back, (except for a large HGV slamming his brakes on to pull into a lay-by on the A14 at the last minute, causing the van behind him to swerve out into the next lane), then as it was lunch time, we popped into the Chinese Buffet for lunch for an hour or so. As we were leaving BSE the warning came up again, then went out after about 30 seconds. Arrived home and let the tyres cool down for an hour. Checked the pressures, and the front O/S and rear N/S are both a little low. Have checked the tyres for damage but can't see anything obvious. But what I did notice was, when I put the pressure gauge on the valve of both these tyres, I could hear a bit of hissing. Does this suggest the valves are failing, and thus the warning is coming up?
I have it booked in for next Friday, (can't find anywhere earlier and it's where I usually get my tires anyway).
Does anyone have any idea what the cost may be, (rough ball park), e.g. £100, £500, £2,000? I'm looking for worst case scenario, i.e. 4 new valves, re-set system and maybe a couple of tyres at around £120 each.

Sponsored Links
I would go to a local garage and set them, then go back to the same place in a day or so and compare the readings and so on and see if there is any change after checking with the same gauge.

You always get a hiss when putting the pressure gauge on or off but if you are getting a hissing when it’s on, you haven’t got it on properly! How old are the valves? Are they just standard tubeless valves which can go hard over time or are they dedicated pressure sensors? I'd only change the tyres if they were worn.

What vehicle make and model?

Someone here may then know if the TPMS is valve sensor/senders or ABS system operated and then consider why the warnings came up.

Air escaping when applying/removing tyre pressure gauge is perfectly normal and indicates nothing at all.

Sponsored Links
I would go to a local garage and set them, then go back to the same place in a day or so and compare the readings and so on and see if there is any change after checking with the same gauge.
Just been on to the dealers about it and they have suggested doing this first. If it still occurs they will book it in under the 3 month dealer warranty.

You always get a hiss when putting the pressure gauge on or off but if you are getting a hissing when it’s on, you haven’t got it on properly! How old are the valves? Are they just standard tubeless valves which can go hard over time or are they dedicated pressure sensors? I'd only change the tyres if they were worn.

The air is escaping on two tyres, (O/S front and N/S rear), these are the ones which are now showing slightly less air. Yesterday they were all equal pressures. The tyres are all quite new, (the rears were fitted after they took it in for part-X as the originals were getting low). I don't know if they are dedicated pressure sensors, (the manual suggests they should be because it talks about re-setting them when the tyres are changed). Don't want to change the tyres because they all have good tread depth with no scuffs etc.
What vehicle make and model?

Someone here may then know if the TPMS is valve sensor/senders or ABS system operated and then consider why the warnings came up.

Air escaping when applying/removing tyre pressure gauge is perfectly normal and indicates nothing at all.
Vehicle is Vauxhall Zafira Tourer, 1.4 petrol. Had it since mid-January and the only problem was the rear washer didn't work. Dealer fixed this FOC under the 3-month warranty. As my reply to Mottie, the manual suggest they are pressure sensor valves, but I wouldn't know how to spot the difference to be honest.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll do what you have suggested and let you know in a few days time how it is going. (y)
(I love driving it, but hate it when things go wrong with a car. :( )

TPMS tyre valves have a replaceable valve insert that gets renewed (or should) when a tyre is changed.

The sensor / transmitter is long life battery device. Those batteries might be reaching end of life? Life expectancy is 5 to 10 years for such sensors. Usually needs a new sensor fitting to wheel and a relearn type process with the vehicle.

Spotting the difference isn't that straightforward any more but https://www.schradertpms.com/en-gb/company/press-room/serviceable-vs-replaceable-tpms-components shows some examples. A metal stem bolted into the wheel is a give-away.

Sounds like a good dealer offer to check things out if you continue to lose tyre pressure.
Hoping you haven't picked up any nails or screws on your journeys.

@Rodders53

As it's around 8 years old then you may have hit the nail on the head. Just read the link. Very interesting but not a job for someone who doesn't know much about cars. LOL

Back