Tyres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help?

I have just had a bit of a shock when my garage quoted me £130 per tyre for my car following a service.

I have now got this down to £103 per wheel from a smaller firm but does anyone know of a good source? Internet, etc.

Apparently, my problem is that the car has 19 inch allow wheels so only a handfull of manufacturers make this size.

Any ideas?

cheers

Sponsored Links
£130 sounds a pretty cheap price for a 19" tyre fitted to me.

Tyre prices get more expensive the larger the rim diameter, and the lower the profile.

A typical "standard" steel-wheel on a small family hatchback is 14", alloys generally start at 15" and go up to 18" on small family hatches, 22" on luxury cars and I think you can get 26" and even 28" for a Hummer. Obviously you can get aftermarket alloys of whatever size will fit on your car (I have seen a Citroen AX with 17" wheels!)

Anyway, so as you can see a 19" wheel is quite large and relatively uncommon. Hence not many people make the tyres, those that do are premium brands and not the "unbranded" tyres.

Don't get me wrong, but if you can afford a car with 19" wheels then £130 a tyre really shouldn't be that hard to find! :LOL: What is it anyway?

Just remembered my Dad has 18" on his car and he gets tyres that are about £250 each. Not sure which brand but you can be certain they are good ones.

Thanks for that.

Its only a saab 9-3, but the garage had put extras on it to sell it as a "limited edition", which included the big wheels.

I did find a website, www.mytyre.co.uk, which sells branded tyres direct, so might end getting them from there.[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Have a peek here, good search facility.
Will give an inkling regarding price + a little more data.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html as opposed to 'Mytyre.co'

My tyres, purchased with fitting, locally, were very close to same price as 'mytyres.co' .
Fitting + bal + disposal added £6.40 inc VAT per tyre.

P

Back