Tyrolean render on breeze block?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an area of breeze block (blocked up window) that needs a Tyrolean render.

Is there any special kind of finish/preparation I need to do and how easy might it be to match the new render in with a surrounding area?

I'm a novice renderer and a woman, so don't know if this is going to be beyond me (sorry, but that is how I feel). No man around to advise or help!

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I have an area of breeze block (blocked up window) that needs a Tyrolean render.

Is there any special kind of finish/preparation I need to do and how easy might it be to match the new render in with a surrounding area?

I'm a novice renderer and a woman, so don't know if this is going to be beyond me (sorry, but that is how I feel). No man around to advise or help!

Any advice gratefully received.

How much are the blocks set back from the rest of the wall?

I presume the rest of the wall is Tyrolean on to flat render.
To match you will have to render and then Tyrolean, but to get teh texture the same and avoid it cracking will be hard.

Would it be an idea to render this window and leave it as a recessed feature?

If you still Tyrolean it (and you would not have to), matching it will not be so crucial. and you will be able to give it a couple of gos without making it proud of surrounding and looking worse.

Thoughts?

Less than 1/2" inset, so not possible to leave it as a recessed feature, see:-

I guess the rest of the wall is Tyrolean onto flat render, but I can't be sure because you can't see it.

I will have to Tyrolean it because it will look odd if I don't.

Sponsored Links
What, the whole wall? It is a gable end, so a huge undertaking. It doesn't have to be perfect, but a good match would do. In any case, in due course I will be painting the whole of the outside of the house.

This is a question that pops up from time to time on here.
It's nigh on impossible to patch any rough texture, be it roughcast, tyrolean finish etc, without it being noticible. You'll always know there was a window,,, or a door in the wall previously,,,, sorry,,, butttttt,,,, It can be made to look presentable if done properly, but that's about it.
The only way to get an un-patched look, is to do the whole wall.

Thanks, but I think "a good match" is the best I will do then, as I don't want to spend out on the whole wall (and certainly not do that myself).

Is it even worth me attempting this patch, or should I get someone in instead?

Any idea what sort of cost I might be looking at?

Thanks.

If i were you i wouldn't attempt it. If you did and made a mess,, it'll cost more in the long run. Get a couple of local tradesmen builders/plasterers in to look at the job, and give you a quote.

If i were you i wouldn't attempt it. If you did and made a mess,, it'll cost more in the long run. Get a couple of local tradesmen builders/plasterers in to look at the job, and give you a quote.
I think you're right!

Thanks everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back