U value of 20 year old Everest window units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

We have had planning permission for a single story extension, and now submitted for building reg approval, with one question over the windows.

The whole house is double glazed with very good quality and condition Everest wood and white aluminium double glazed windows.

We would like to reuse the window and patio door in building the extension, as these are perfectly good condition, sealed units, and in our view replacing with the latest all singing and dancing patio door and window will cost £1500+ which I can not see how the latest U values would ever recover this cost V keeping current units.

Also the wasted energy from making new/binning these old ones.

I have put the above to the building inspector and he is asking for U (1.6 W/m2K) values, and if greater than 1.6 and other thermal elements are increased might be OK.

Any advice?

Edit to add they are 28mm units and area is 2m2 for each

Also just been on this web site below and entered details of units, and difference between E and A of 20 years is only £200.

http://www.ggf.org.uk/energy-savings-calculator

Sponsored Links
I'm sure even 20 years ago Everest were using gas filled units.

You could get them inspected to see if they are LowE, which will be enough to satisfy Mr inspector.

We may have a low E tester at work which will tell you but the guy who uses it is in the US for two weeks and its locked up. If you get stuck then contact me and i'll ask him.

Worst case scenario you can just change the glass.

Thanks for the reply.

I have phoned Everest and asked if they could give me the U values. "U values, what's that" was the reply given by the lady on the phone!

Anyway finally got through to someone, that said they had no values from back then.

I would be interested in this low e test you mention can you give more details?

I have costed up new windows from Wickes online and the window is about £250 and patio doors about £450.

We do also need another patio door and a back door along with 2 side windows so might as well go the whole hog and get the lot new.

£1500 from Wickes, but will of course shop around.

Don't think low e was around 20 years ago and will be very surprised if they were gas filled and even if they were I doubt it will have gas in it now. Also the whole window including the glass should have a u value of 1.6 and as aluminium is not the best for thermal efficiency and I doubt they had a thermal break you may struggle to get 1.6, might do if the units are filled with xenon

Sponsored Links
there is absolutely no way the windows will be anywhere near 1.6 u value. sorry. Don't waste your time - you'll get a patio and window (supply only in upvc) for far less than £1500

there is absolutely no way the windows will be anywhere near 1.6 u value. sorry. Don't waste your time - you'll get a patio and window (supply only in upvc) for far less than £1500

I have costed up new windows from Wickes online and the window is about £250 and patio doors about £450.

Yes, about £700 from wickes.

£1500 was for a futher 2 windows and another patio door.

I am going all new, but only to tick the planning box, its just a waste of money buying new.

I'm sure even 20 years ago Everest were using gas filled units.

You could get them inspected to see if they are LowE, which will be enough to satisfy Mr inspector.

We may have a low E tester at work which will tell you but the guy who uses it is in the US for two weeks and its locked up. If you get stuck then contact me and i'll ask him.

Worst case scenario you can just change the glass.
Just FORGET- reusing the 20 year old windows-- they have outlived their usefulness a few times over. Cant get blood out of a stone !!.
Big thing to understand is- windows- especially sealed units dont like to be disturbed after that long sitting in one place. I would guarantee that in less than 12 months of being 'resituated' into a different place- they will fail.
Besides that- by now- if you look carefully- any rubber seals will have shrunk and will be faded .They will look like old windows compared to the new windows today.
It's time to dig deep into your pocket and pull out lots of those old notes you have been hoarding away.
Lot's of choices regarding plastic windows nowadays- especially at this current time of everyone fighting for business (despite some dreamers saying they are 'mowed out' ).
Personally- 'Wicks' wouldnt be my first or second or even third choice . cheap and cheerful comes to mind.
New extension- new start - thats my advice. Dont waste energy on thinking about it
Pete

ps- just noticed you are a Yorkshire man !! lol says it all. Like to look after your brass !!

Just FORGET- reusing the 20 year old windows-- they have outlived their usefulness a few times over. Cant get blood out of a stone !!.

Still very good windows

Big thing to understand is- windows- especially sealed units dont like to be disturbed after that long sitting in one place.

Fair point

I would guarantee that in less than 12 months of being 'resituated' into a different place- they will fail.

Besides that- by now- if you look carefully- any rubber seals will have shrunk and will be faded .

No- they are still black as black

They will look like old windows compared to the new windows today.

No, they will look like the rest of the windows in the house.

It's time to dig deep into your pocket and pull out lots of those old notes you have been hoarding away.

Very true, it has taken a lot of pain for me to part with my hard won money.

Lot's of choices regarding plastic windows nowadays- especially at this current time of everyone fighting for business (despite some dreamers saying they are 'mowed out' ).

Personally- 'Wicks' wouldnt be my first or second or even third choice . cheap and cheerful comes to mind.
New extension- new start - thats my advice. Dont waste energy on thinking about it
Pete

Wicks was just an example

ps- just noticed you are a Yorkshire man !! lol says it all. Like to look after your brass !!

Very true

Total glass in house adds up to 67m2, we are replacing only only 8m2, just over 10% "energy saving"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back