Laminate glass U value?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a quote to recondition my sash windows. Double glazing is not possible as these units are too thick...a common problem with old sash windows. The company suggest laminate glass as an option (2 sinlge pains with a resin middle).

However, what is the U value for laminate glass as i can't find it anywhere on the web? It's not worth adding cost and weight to the windows if the insulation properties are no different from single glazing (U value of ~5.6)

thanks

Sponsored Links
Ok, called Pilkington as you suggested. Also as philip suggested there is no extra insulation benefit in using laminate glass over single glazing (even if laminate is effectively 2 pains) .

they suggest I use the minimum double glazing width of 14mm
(4mm float glass - 6mm gap - 4mm Low e glass)

I also saw slimlite units http://www.sashglass.co.uk/products.htm

any experience comments on this?

Sponsored Links
Have you considered secondary glazing inside? If you have net curtains it will be practically invisible and will not detract from the period appearance.

It will also be much better at muffling sound and draughts than ordinary double glazing.

If you get double glazing with a small gap get it with krypton fill rather than argon fill. More expensive though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back