Filling sash-sized window space with one pane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a timber sash (single-glazed) with a double-glazed unit and new uPVC frame.

The dimensions are 1000mm wide and 1700mm in height. Due to it's proximity to the floor, it'll need to be safety laminate glass.

I am considering the possibility of installing one solid pane of glass, hinged along the vertical. I expect this will require a heavy duty hinge.

It's on the ground floor (living room) looking into a back yard which gets no direct sunlight. I realise with no vertical bar this can make a window look somewhat characterless from the outside, but the window won't be seen by anyone due to its location. Also this would let in maximum light.

Can anyone foresee any issues with this? That is, given the size/weight of the laminate glass window, and with it being just one glass unit. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Why laminate glass?....Toughened glass will be OK , conforms to regs and lighter... also you'll need low e glass and argon gas to conform to building regs...are you fitting it ?, in which case you'll need to get it signed off by local building control or if/when you sell you will have all sorts of problems...

Also I'd be surprised if you get a upvc window with a completely opening sash at that size...yes you will require a heavy weight hinge but unsure if anyone makes one for that size sash

Another tiny piece of the nation's architectural heritage is chipped away :cry:
It's single glazing though.

I know some say just put on thick curtains, but I don't have the curtains pulled during the day. So, how to retain heat? The previous occupant has actually sealed up the sash windows throughout the house with a mastic sealer. Presumably because they were freezing.

Why laminate glass?....Toughened glass will be OK , conforms to regs and lighter...
I had thought about the possibility of someone breaking the glass to get in, which is very difficult with the laminate. Though perhaps with this size of window, the laminate option is not actually an option.

So, toughened glass would be okay.

also you'll need low e glass and argon gas to conform to building regs...
Pilkington KS glass.

.are you fitting it ?, in which case you'll need to get it signed off by local building control or if/when you sell you will have all sorts of problems...
No, it would be a builder. So I expect he will know about this.

Also I'd be surprised if you get a upvc window with a completely opening sash at that size...yes you will require a heavy weight hinge but unsure if anyone makes one for that size sash

Sponsored Links
Have you considered secondary glazing? Cheaper and less hassle than replacing the window, and you won't have the guilt ;)

e.g.

http://www.clearviewsg.co.uk/
It's an option.

I had been considering installing special sound reducing Pilkington Optilam Phon KS glass (double-glazed) to the front of the house. Which I've had costed from a trade supplier and is fine price-wise.

Installing secondary glazing against the original timber sash single-glazed windows, I assume (though I could be wrong) will not reduce traffic noise to anything like the same extent or reduce heat-loss to anything like the same extent.

Though I could have a look to determine how they might compare.

Also, if I decide to sell my home at some point in the future, will potential purchasers appreciate the original single-glazed wooden sash windows, or will they think, oh it's only got single-glazing we'll have to factor in the cost and hassle of installing double-glazing and reduce our offer.

None of the other houses here have their original wooden sash windows, which have all been replaced with uPVC double glazing.

Installing secondary glazing against the original timber sash single-glazed windows, I assume (though I could be wrong) will not reduce traffic noise to anything like the same extent or reduce heat-loss to anything like the same extent.

Depends on the design. Good quality secondary glazing with a decent gap between it and the original (4-6 inches though I'm not an expert) will do a far better job at keeping sound out than double glazing. Cheap stuff that isn't well-sealed obviously won't.

Also, if I decide to sell my home at some point in the future, will potential purchasers appreciate the original single-glazed wooden sash windows, or will they think, oh it's only got single-glazing we'll have to factor in the cost and hassle of installing double-glazing and reduce our offer.

Depends on the area. Certainly in the parts of York that I used to live in, original sash windows added to the value of the property rather than detracting from it, along with any other original features.

Cheers
Richard

Possom, your thorough questioning makes me think you've done your homework on the installation side as well, please bare in mind poor fitting and/or finishing off will reduce your Veka/Rehau install to nothing better than a DIY job from Wickes/B&Q

It's all in the fitting
For me, a builder fitting a tilt n turn of 1000x1700 = Alarm Bells

:eek:

Possom, your thorough questioning makes me think you've done your homework
:) I'm in no immediate rush to install the windows, so I thought I'd do some thorough research first. I have found it quite interesting. Who would have thought windows could be this interesting! I know window-buffs will say obviously they are, though windows weren't something I gave much thought to before.

please bare in mind poor fitting and/or finishing off will reduce your Veka/Rehau install to nothing better than a DIY job from Wickes/B&Q
Yes.

It's all in the fitting
For me, a builder fitting a tilt n turn of 1000x1700 = Alarm Bells

:eek:

I have just gave this some thought, so as far as a tilt & turn is concerned, I hadn't asked him about this specifically.

Are tilt and turns more technically demanding to fit than other uPVC window frames? Is there more room for error?

My pet hate is builders fitting windows and doors, don't get me wrong there are many builders capable of doing a decent job but I've see it all too often with the bad fitting exceeding the good.
If you know what your doing tilt n turns are straight forward, as long as the window is in level, plumb and is packed correctly, you're halfway there.

My pet hate is builders fitting windows and doors
Generally speaking, who would you suggest should be sought for this?

Perhaps time-served joiners?

1. Aim for someone who is recommended and experienced in fitting windows, especially tilt n turns if that's what you're going for.
2. Will certify the installation ie fensa or Certass, (this will be free, an insurance backed guarantee will also be issued)
3. Guarantees are issued on completion (10yr)

Many builders/joiners won't be fensa/Certass reg, this means the windows will have to be signed off through LABC, costing you £160+vat
Many builders/joiners don't fit windows day in day out, especially tilt n turns!
Chances of an IBG being issued is slim if they're not fensa/Certass

It's all in the fitting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back