Fire Escape Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A window is 850mm wide and 1700mm high, with a uPVC join horizontally across the centre dividing it into two panes.

The top pane is hinged along the top horizontal and swings outwards.

The bottom pane therefore measures 850mm wide (33.5'') and 850mm high (33.5''), and this is hinged along the *vertical*. This bottom pane is a fire escape window.

Considering the size, would this bottom double-glazed pane (uPVC frame) require a heavy duty hinge on the vertical?

Hinged along the vertical, can this fire escape window swing *into* the room, or is it best to have it swing out?

Sponsored Links
Best to speak to the window manufacturer. These types of windows are a bit dodgy on fire egress sizes.

I assume you are replacing old box sash windows?
If so it could well be worth doing like for like in PVC. The price has come right down in recent years. 5-10 years ago you would be paying about £1000-£1500 each but I supply and fit them now for £500-600 which is only about £100ish more than a double hung casement window.

I assume you are replacing old box sash windows?
Yes.

The price has come right down in recent years. 5-10 years ago you would be paying about £1000-£1500 each but I supply and fit them now for £500-600 which is only about £100ish more than a double hung casement window.
Really? That's interesting, I might ask about that.

I had been told by a couple of suppliers that sash PVC are about 2.5 times more expensive than casement PVC. So, I didn't check any further. Though these were different suppliers than I shall be using.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back