Fire Escape / Egress Window Hinges

mdb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In some major rebuilding work I'm getting done on the house, the plan is to open up downstairs which includes the area around the stairs. Because of this, Building Control want the upstairs windows converted to meet the fire escape regs. Fortunately, they have an exactly 450mm wide opening so would meet the regs if the window pane didn't swing across the opening as it opened.

Current hinges are something like this:
windowhinges.jpg

The standard solution to this problem is to change the hinges for "Fire Escape / Egress Hinges" such as these:
window_hinge1.jpg

These look similar to normal hinges but move is a slightly different way keeping the window close to the frame and allow opening to 90°.

Unfortunately, as the above picture shows, these type of fire hinges do not move the window completely out of the way meaning that I do not get the full 450mm opening I require to meet the regs.

Fortunately, after a lot of searching I found this company who make a varient of the fire hinge called the "mega egress hinge"
Egresshinge-web.jpg

This hinge is a little bit more clever and moves the window almost completely away from the opening allowing me to meet fire regs. Unfortunately, they only want to sell me a box of 25 pairs, where as I only need 6.

Does anybody know of anywhere I could buy 6 pairs of this type of hinge? Does anybody know of any other type of hinge which would do the same job?

Cheers, MdB

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back