1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

U values for loft conversion

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by handyman77, 2 Dec 2013.

1. handyman77

handyman77

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We have been informed by our private building control firm that our walls and ceilings must achieve a u value of 0.18. I was under the impression that was the recommended for windows and doors. We are now having to fit 100mm inbetween the joist and covering with a 40mm K7 this seems a bit belt and braces to me.....or is it just me?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes ceiling is 0.18 and 100 Kingspan between and 40 under is required.

Walls are 0.28 and 90 between the studs will get you there.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Architexeter

Architexeter

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yep, thats the rules as the goverment is looking to the housebuilding industry to solve global warming.

You are out by a factor of 10 with your impression of window u-values - they are more like 1.6 -1.8W/m2K not 0.18.

I tend to spec 100mm on the walls and depending on rafter size ensuring adequate ventilation, 100mm between and 40+12.5mm insulated plasterboard to underside.

You could look at multifoils such as Triso Super 10 as an alternative but this will still need some Kingspan.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local