UFH - 80m2 on one circuit for open plan area?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an open plan kitchen and living room area which will be roughly 80m2. I have several quotes from different UFH suppliers, most have put 3 circuits on this area and therefore 3 thermostats. One firm has put this all on one circuit with the logic being that "because of air movement in the house, one of the thermostats would sense a lack of heat to start with and would warm the area that it controls. however there is nothing stopping this warm air moving and being replaced by the cold air, therefore the original thermostat which was originally calling for heat keeps calling it and the floor area for that gets very hot".

Is this correct? What about the alternative assumption that a 80m2 continuous loop will result in the water reaching the middle / end of the loop will not be hot?

Sponsored Links
Just spoke to the company, they said it will be one zone but three circuits.

Sponsored Links
What downsides, if any, would you say there to having such a large area on one zone? Do you find some areas which are hot and other which are cold?

Laid properly and the flow rates set correctly, there should be no issues.

Mine incorporates the kitchen and living room as well as entrance hall.

Mines is a lot bigger than that and one zone 6 circuits:p
The other zone is about that and 4 circuits.
2 stats in total. One for library one for lounge.

UFH companies make their money on controls, the pipe is the loss leader.
KISS!! Minimum controls are needed with UFH.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back