UFH In Ground Floor Extension - thoughts?

I hadn't - but mainly because I had never heard of them until you mentioned. Are they any good, will they heat the whole room? If they work they seem a lot cheaper than UFH. We are having a kitchen island so could potentially fit four of them in it pointing in all directions if it's big enough.

Sponsored Links
I hadn't - but mainly because I had never heard of them until you mentioned. Are they any good, will they heat the whole room? If they work they seem a lot cheaper than UFH. We are having a kitchen island so could potentially fit four of them in it pointing in all directions if it's big enough.

There's a lot of drivel posted on this thread mate!!
UFH is one of the most comfortable systems you'll ever live with. If you have UFH in your home you'd never want any other type of system. I can understand why your missus is so keen, it's very popular in Eire & here in Scotland. We've been installing it for the last 12-15 years & I don't have one customer that dislikes it. It can be installed in any type of floor, but works best(cheapest running cost) with a concrete floor & tiles.

Have you considered kickspace heaters fitted under the kitchen units?

These are the best way to heat a kitchen. Immediate response and very low running cost if activated manually or by a movement detector.

Tony

If the quote is not too horrific I might get the UFH, tiling/stone on top which is best, and then if I find that I do need a boost on winter mornings I could always fit an electric kickspace into the island. Or just buy a fan.

Sponsored Links
If the quote is not too horrific I might get the UFH, tiling/stone on top which is best, and then if I find that I do need a boost on winter mornings I could always fit an electric kickspace into the island. Or just buy a fan.

If it's sized correctly Steve, you'll not need anything else & you'll rejoice every Winter's morning, when you feel that warm floor under your feet.

but do use a proper electronic mixing valve not the micky mouse stuff so beloved in the UK!

Electronic mixing valve? Not sure yet, my gas man says he uses Nu Heat, are they any good? I got a materials quote from floorheatingonline of 900 and another from speedfit of2200. That is quite a scary difference.

Just bumping this because I don't know what an electronic mixing valve is ALEC? One of the quotes I received included a "2 port valve", another "UFH 14KW CONTROL UNIT (Incl. mixing valve, pump & fixings)". The second was itemised at £400 so I am guessing that this is an electronic job?

Can you tell me what the alternative if not electronic, and why I need to go down this route please?

If I am going to spend the money on this I am determined to get it right!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back