UFH possible leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak in my system somewhere. I am trying to work out what the problem is. I dont think it is a boiler problem, but i cannot see any leaks anywhere in the house.

At the moment i am seeing if i still get a pressure drop on the house circuit, after isolating the kitchen UFH. If the pressure drop stops occurring it must be a problem with the UFH coil.

So my question:

How common is it for 15mm UFH to spring a leak. There are no joins in the concrete and it has all been working well for the last 5yrs. Has anyone seen a circuit in concrete suddenly develop a leak ?

Sponsored Links
Here's my top tip, but keep it to yourself;
To find a leaking UFH pipe on a concrete floor, wet the cold floor with a mop, turn on the UFH. As the floor heats up you'll see the loops in the concrete - as the floor will dry out above the pipes first. Any leak will show up as a big blob of dry floor, as the water sprays out the pipe in the concrete.......👍😉

Is it a condensing boiler? The leak could be coming from the heat exchanger which would not be visible.
Have you checked the expansion vessel and the PRV?

Sponsored Links
yes it is a condenser - 7 y/o vaillant.

I have tested the exp vessel and pressure is ok with no water coming out when you test the valve. I have also tested the overflow pipe and it is bone dry.

What happens if it is the heat ex - where does the water go, does it evaporate ?

Thanks for info on finding UFH leak. I have isolated the UFH but the pressure is still going down so i am certain now that this is all ok (phew).

The boiler has lost 0.3 pressure in the last 2 days as i pressured up to 1.4, so the leak will take the pressure down to 0.5 in about 2 weeks. No water anywhere so i hope it is the heat exc.

Is this relevant ?

After 8 months of the instal the heat exchanger was changed due to noises. It was done under guarantee and that was exactly 6 yrs ago. Normally this is due to muck i think in the system, but it is very clean and i have a filter on the return pipe. Just thought i would mention it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back