UFH pressure test- without a pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

In the process of finishing my UFH installation.
Original plan was for me to run pipework and plumber to commission.

Turns out he doesnt have a test pump and usually borrows his mates who is on holiday for 2 weeks and our screed is being poured on Thursday!

Spec suggests that pipework and manifold is tested to 3bar and left pressurised throughout screeding and regularly checked to show any issues.

My mains water supply is around 3 bar......
Could i connect hose and fill the system, bleeding all air etc. connect pressure gauge to manifold and open tap to get to mains pressure then shut it off and watch for a pressure drop?

He said he could do an air test but he didnt think it was recommended for UFH pipes.

Any other options??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
can use a car tyre pump, takes a while but works. if you fill it with water and have a leak it'll be messy.

Hello,

In the process of finishing my UFH installation.
Original plan was for me to run pipework and plumber to commission.

Turns out he doesnt have a test pump and usually borrows his mates who is on holiday for 2 weeks and our screed is being poured on Thursday!

Tell him to go to a hire shop.

It's his problem, not yours, so just tell him to just do the job he has been paid for and stop arsing about.

Air takes longer, a lot longer, to indicate a leak, quite apart from the frequently mentioned hazards of it being capable of killing someone if a fitting comes apart. And the point of the hydraulic pressure test is to make any defective components come apart &/or defective pipes fail, before they're buried in screed.

You need to pressure test it, to the manufacturer's recommendations, which is probably nearer 10 bar. And you need to witness that and monitor the gauge when the installer is off the site so that there's no sly pumping up being done.

If there's any nonsense, you go to the hire shop, or find an installer who has the tools required by his trade. It's you who'll be digging the screed out if it goes wrong.

He said he could do an air test but he didnt think it was recommended for UFH pipes.

He's an idiot. Get someone competent.

If you fill with water and then use a tyre pump to create the pressure to perhaps about 4-5 Bar.

Using mains water pressure will always work but pressure varies during the day.

Tony

Sponsored Links
What type of pipe are you using, we always test to 6 bar and maintain this throughout the screeding process.

Pete

Cheers for the responses, found a pump at a local hire shop for him to use.

We are using 16mm pert/al/pert. Double checked the installation specs last night, they had said around 3 bar on the phone but the documentation suggests 5 bar for test.

Should be purging the loops tonight after finishing the bathroom and get it tested tomorrow, hopefully no issues :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back