UFH Specific Insulation or is "Standard" Board ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've spent the last week trying to research, to no avail, whether we need to use UFH specific insulation (i.e. FF4000) under our UFH or if standard boards (i.e. GA4000) will be ok?

Are UFH specific boards just marketing gimmick by the manufacturers to make you spend more money, or is there a general reason to use them?

Floor construction:

75mm liquid screed
Vapour Barrier
100mm insulation
Vapour Barrier
Concrete
DPM
Hardcore

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
what's important is the heat loss.. how you get there isn't really that important..

it also depends on the ratio of internal wall to floor space! but 75mm of king span normally fits the bill

For your set up a marketing gimmick.

With a lot of these boards you actually lose heat transfer between the pipe and screed as the pipe is half buried in the board.

Clip rails is all you need which will suspend your pipe and allow the liquid screed full contact on the entire circumference.

This image will give you a general idea.
http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/advice/DIY/wet-ufh

Only have the rails closer so that the pipe does not touch the insulation and use the double meander layout pattern.
A lot of cowboys in the ufh business.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you fix your pipes down properly, liquid screed is a bastard for floating your unsecured pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back