UFH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I am currently renovating my lounge and have decided to put in underfloor heating. I am planning on tiling the area but I'm concerned about which type of ufh to use.

There is currently a 50mm screed layed with scope to add another 15mm on top before tiling. The only trouble is the existing screed is far from level and has no insulation underneath.

Can anyone think of a solution that is going to reasonably cost effective and leaves me with a level underfloor heated floor.

Cheers,

Chris

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother as there is no insulation. Just fit a rad. Job done.
alec will be along shortly to tell you it will be fine as long as you fit a £900 quid mixing valve and controller.
Preferably an all singing and dancing viessmann one. :rolleyes:

I know a lot of the heat will go downwards without much insulation, but radiators are ugly and heat the wrong half of the room!

I'm looking for the best solution with UFH, not the best solution to heat the room.

the problem with no insulation is that the floor becomes uncontrollable as you heat too much of the slab up...

insulation at the wrong depth can be worked with, but no insulation is another matter...(although as Norcon suggests a compensation mixing valve may work)

Sponsored Links
Hiya,

Can anyone think of a solution that is going to reasonably cost effective and leaves me with a level underfloor heated floor.

Cheers,

Chris

Its pretty simple!

Break up all the concrete down about 200 mm below finished floor level.

Add 50-60mm of screed with DPM and then 70mm of insulation.

Fit the UHF pipes and the cover with a minimum of 60-70mm containing the pipes.

Tony

Hiya,

I am currently renovating my lounge and have decided to put in underfloor heating. I am planning on tiling the area but I'm concerned about which type of ufh to use.

There is currently a 50mm screed layed with scope to add another 15mm on top before tiling. The only trouble is the existing screed is far from level and has no insulation underneath.

Cheers,

Chris

Castellated insulation board, pipes & then a thin screed;

http://www.theconcretecompany.co.uk/selflevel/selfleveling.htm

Job done, then you've got the best heating system on the planet......... ;)

with scope to add another 15mm on top before tiling

The op has 15mm to play with Delta.
That must be some mighty fine thin castellated board. :mrgreen:

In your link whats special about the "self levelling concrete"?
Is it just ordinary concrete with a load of natures best H20 added?

with scope to add another 15mm on top before tiling

The op has 15mm to play with Delta.
That must be some mighty fine thin castellated board. :mrgreen:

In your link whats special about the "self levelling concrete"?
Is it just ordinary concrete with a load of natures best H20 added?

Ah, oh well he'll need to do as Tony posted then, 15mm is not enough.

There's a lot of 'Readymix' type companies doing self-level now, it's great stuff for UFH.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back