Underfloor heating and radiators in same room.....can it work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am just about to start a remodelling of our house. In doing so will create a large open plan lounge / diner and kitchen. The room as a whole is 6m x 13m. The lounge area is 6m x 5m and the kitchen / diner area is 6m x 8m.

We are planning on tiling the kitchen / diner area and want to use UFH. (new slab /100mm insulation and wet UFH in 50mm flow screed). Creating 2 zones diner and kitchen.

The lounge area will have carpet and a radiator(s). (we have ruled out UFH due to cost of digging up existing concrete floor, combined with wanting to use carpet).

Im currently thinking 1 thermostat for the lounge controlling the rad, 1 thermostat in diner controlling the UFH and 1 thermostat in the kitchen controlling the UFH in the kitchen zone.

Will I have troubles with the radiator and the UFH working against each other in relation to the slow heat build up times of the UFH?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Obviously both will give out heat.

So the effect will be that if you time the UFH off then at start up the rad end will be warm and the other cooler!

But having a degree of UFH setback ( always on but at a lower temp overnight ) will lessen that.

Or you can just time the UFH to start about 90 minutes before you really need it.

A TRV used on the rad and actually set correctly will enable the rad output to lower its output as the UFH starts to contribute to the heat output.

Carefully set I think that it will work quite well.

Of course, no expense spared, I would have rads all over and UFH all over so the rad TRVs turn off as the UFH starts to provide some heat. So the advantage of rapid warm up of rads and the uniform heat of UFH.

Tony

Thanks Tony that was pretty much how I expected to run it - start the UFH early and control the radiator with TRV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back