UFH uneven temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I had some Underfloor heating (re)installed in my kitchen/diner. With the thermostat set to 19C, the floor in the kitchen gets up to about 33C (measured with a gun) while the larger living area rarely gets to about 24C. This isn't too comfortable underfoot and I'd rather the kitchen wan't being heated so much, food etc. The whole area is one zone from the manifold. The water temperature at the manifold is set to minimum (35C) but the manifold temperature gauge says 50-55C when the system is running. the engineer that installed it said to try turning the zone's flow rate down, which seemed to make it worse. I tried turning it up but there is still a big difference between these areas. Is there anything else I can try? 55C seems a bit hot from what I've read, but I don't know how to turn the temperature down any more.

Attachments

• IMG_1368.jpg
    IMG_1368.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 132
Sponsored Links
What a rough install...several years ago?
It looks like the system water's in a poor state so a good flush out of the whole system's needed.
Clean out the flow gauges on the top flow manifold.
Get a couple of new thermometers for each rail.
That top right temperature gauge is showing 60 degrees...way too high.
The thermostatic valve lower right sets the loop temperature.

What a rough install...several years ago?
It looks like the system water's in a poor state so a good flush out of the whole system's needed.
Clean out the flow gauges on the top flow manifold.
Get a couple of new thermometers for each rail.
That top right temperature gauge is showing 60 degrees...way too high.
The thermostatic valve lower right sets the loop temperature.

Yeah its rough, 6 years old, though it was actually hanging off the wall before it was reinstalled 3 months ago. I think the engineer flushed the system, or at least drained it (they said it was relatively clean?), but the gauges themselves are corroded or stained, you can't see the flow rate. I was told I can only change the dirty gauges when the system is drained down though ....is that right?

When you say a thermometer for each rail, what is a rail?

The thermostatic valve is at minimum, but the temperature won't go below about 50-55c. I'm thinking maybe the thermostatic valve needs replacing?

If I understand correctly, if I lower the temperature , the floor heats more slowly and evenly? The engineer is trying to fob me off saying it heats the room to about the right temperature so what more do i want... he doesn't really care because he's working for the new build guarantee underwriter, not for me. Took me a month to get his number

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't need to drain the system to clean the flow gauges...just drop the pressure to zero if it's pressurised.
Rail or manifold..where the loops connect onto. You've only got a thermometer in the top flow rail and that's stuck at max...they just pull out from a dry pocket.
It does appear the thermostatic valve has failed...it looks like a Reliance valve manifold.
There's a recommended maximum floor temperature...not only can high temps damage floor coverings but there are also medical reasons AFAIR.
Give up with the warranty...and sort it yourself. Underfloor manifolds are a continual source of maintenance so you need to understand it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back