uhf tv -convertor required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have new but old 5" screen TV. I need a digital to uhf convertor. I'm quite happy to build a circuit if need be. I'm aware I can buy a digital TV so this if for interest and maybe reignite my electronic days.

Thanks Ray

Sponsored Links
Hello Ray,

I take it the small TV has only the analogue RF IN, hence why you need the modulated out rather than going for a Freeview STB and using the AV out direct to the small TV? I don't know if this'll be an easy nut to crack.

The nature of the DVB-T/T2 RF signal is that it is broadband multiplex rather than channel specific. Even if you isolate a DVB-T/T2 channel frequency, it's still a package of various sub-channels so some kind 'tuner' is required to pick apart the package to select the individual channel required before then modulating it to analogue RF.

There are still AV to analogue RF modulators around: The Mercury unit here is sold under a variety of different brand names. This will sit downstream from a Freeview STB with SCART out.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Surely all he needs is a Freeview box with an RF modulator. Rare but I'm sure they are available second hand. I've got one on the TV in my shed. It's a Panasonic something or other 30 (too cold to go out there to check now).

Thanks to both Sorry for delay. Does this photo help.

Attachments

• 20180110_081219.jpg
    20180110_081219.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
Yes, it does. Thanks.

You could use a Freeview tuner box and connect a SCART to phono cable between that and the TV. Yellow is video, white (on the TV) is mono audio. The sound output from the Freeview box will be stereo. You'll need something to convert stereo to mono.

People who aren't familiar with electronics will just use a 1:2 splitter in reverse, like this: If you want a real laugh just read the description. According to the seller's site this "mixes down" stereo to mono, but more than that it creates "simulated stereo" on a mono speaker TV! Ha-ha, that's some neat trick, eh? ;)

Really, what's required is a proper device or circuit to combine stereo to create mono. I have used the Monacor SMC-1 in previous installs. However, if you're handy with a soldering iron and have the time then I guess something like this?

iPodAdaptorSchematic.jpg

Credit to: https://antiqueradio.org/iPodAdaptor.htm

Did we help? Then use the THANKS button on each of the posts you found useful. (Hover your mouse near Multi-quote Quote) It's free; it marks good advice for other readers; and it's the best way to say thanks for the help you got

I have a number of old analogue TV's I use a set top box to convert from digital to analogue I bought the last one about 3 years ago, it was from Maplin make was Icecrypt not sure if this model but if not very like it.

It was expensive, and the internet bit never did work, but with a hard drive plugged in it allows both freesat and freeview to be watched on any TV connected to it and recorded. The freeview worked well, but since it is continuous channel numbers the freesat ends up with an odd number system and you have to manually arrange the order. The freesat electronic program guide is not very good, it shows the guide for some channels then to get more you have to change channel. Yes you do get all the TV channels but finding out what is on not so good.

It can either combine multiplex with analogue or keep the separate, and I found they interfere with each other so only pipe the analogue signal around the house. The TV with the HDMI connection gets HD from the box, TV's with analogue clearly just get normal quality.

For what it cost I also bought just over a year ago a 42 inch HD Smart TV so not really value for money, may as well buy a new TV, but does do what you ask, it converts all digital into analogue. The record was a surprise, I expected it to change to the channel set to record, however it often seems to record one channel and show another. Maybe they are on same multiplex? Also the format it uses to record, after recording I can select if text is shown or not.

Why one would want to use an old TV I don't know, my tablet will show many TV programs so the TV has never been taken into the caravan. But suppose it would work if I wanted to take it.

Lucid - Like the stereo comment I'm a very long ago x service /workshop engineer (digital as opposed to analogue but of course they merged at times) Some fault reports and 'fixes' certainly brought a smile..

ericmark thanks for comments. The above in part answers why not just buy a tablet etc. I guess just out if interest and it's in the blood from the old days of trying to achieve 100% fix as service guy and high 90% of what came into the workshop got fixed. Until the day came of if you can't fix it in max 45 mins (including setting up and clean) chuck it in the skip - the day I packed my tools away.

Ray

Lucid - Like the stereo comment I'm a very long ago x service /workshop engineer (digital as opposed to analogue but of course they merged at times) Some fault reports and 'fixes' certainly brought a smile..

I had a few of those when I worked in retail in the 80's. The one I specifically remember was the irate lady who wheeled a pushchair in to the shop and then produced a faulty Philips VCR from the basket below. The machine was barely a week old. She wasn't happy. "This is rubbish. It won't take tapes. It's brand new. It was expensive!... yadda yadda" you get the picture.

After suitable apologies and reassurances that this was very unusual, I asked her if she'd mind if I took a look inside immediately. This seemed to calm her down a touch as she could see something being done instantly. I removed the retaining screws and lifted the lid. Inside, sitting in the middle of the tape loading mech', sat one of mum's combs. It seemed that her daughter enjoyed the game of Postman very much. Curiously, irate mum went all quiet after that.

Bless her, she apologised profusely while I booked the machine in for a quick check of the mechanism. I have no idea if the child survived. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back