UK only formally asked Turkey for PPE shipment help on Sunday - after telling Britons it was on its

Sponsored Links
I just read that 10 minutes ago. I'd like some clarification on who exactly is supplying it. The impression we were given was that Turkey were supplying the gear but seemingly that's not the case.

It failed to materialise, but no explanation for the delay was given.
In fact two sources have told Sky News that no formal request was made to the Turkish authorities - who were not supplying the shipment, but whose help was sought to get it to the UK - until Sunday.

Who is supplying it and why do we need Turkeys help?
It was ordered under a normal commercial contract, the bit that was missed by the UK end was that Turkey have export controls that needed to be followed.

The purchasers of my company’s services make formal requests to me after all the details including prices, student numbers, courses etc etc have been agreed informally. Often I have to remind them about the formalities after I have started work for them. Many others work like that. What’s your point. Oh, I know, the dirty Turks have gone back on their word.

Looks like the Turkish Gov helped the UK out.

https://www.ft.com/content/8d1522cd-d699-4902-bbce-79f220fc1e09

Turkish government steps in to fulfil UK order for PPE
Ankara rescues RAF supply mission after lack of export licence scuppers order

A shipment of protective equipment brought to Britain by the RAF was supplied by the Turkish government after the UK’s plan to buy supplies from a private company descended into chaos. Ankara rode to the rescue when the UK’s original supplier was found to be lacking the necessary export license, prompting delays and embarrassment for Boris Johnson’s government. The bulk of a delivery of gowns and other personal protective equipment for healthcare staff treating coronavirus patients was instead provided by Ushas, a Turkish state-owned health company, according to two people familiar with the discussions to solve the crisis.

Sponsored Links
Looks like the Turkish Gov helped the UK out.

https://www.ft.com/content/8d1522cd-d699-4902-bbce-79f220fc1e09

Turkish government steps in to fulfil UK order for PPE
Ankara rescues RAF supply mission after lack of export licence scuppers order

A shipment of protective equipment brought to Britain by the RAF was supplied by the Turkish government after the UK’s plan to buy supplies from a private company descended into chaos. Ankara rode to the rescue when the UK’s original supplier was found to be lacking the necessary export license, prompting delays and embarrassment for Boris Johnson’s government. The bulk of a delivery of gowns and other personal protective equipment for healthcare staff treating coronavirus patients was instead provided by Ushas, a Turkish state-owned health company, according to two people familiar with the discussions to solve the crisis.

So, after all the false stories, it was the Turkish company that didn't have the correct paperwork. OK.
Good of the Turkish govt to resolve the situation nonetheless.

Back