UK turned down offer of 10,000 tests a day four weeks ago

That it seems there is ongoing failure to identify potential suppliers for testing kits, as there was for PPE, is more concerning. If we're still missing opportunities to make things better how many more will we miss?

I strongly suspect we are seeing just in time applied in all areas from a terribly prepared initial conditions down to the same reason. So the reason for 100k a day will become apparent but at the moment no way of actually taking the tests - just processing them. We have now reached a stage where 25million people can get them. A large proportion need to have symptoms so much depends on how many catch it. A large proportion will be over 65. We appear to be able to do a rather low number out of hospital tests at the moment. And probably something like 8k in hospitals.

Sponsored Links
That it seems there is ongoing failure to identify potential suppliers for testing kits, as there was for PPE, is more concerning. If we're still missing opportunities to make things better how many more will we miss?

I strongly suspect we are seeing just in time applied in all areas from a terribly prepared initial conditions down to the same reason. So the reason for 100k a day will become apparent but at the moment no way of actually taking the tests - just processing them. We have now reached a stage where 25million people can get them. A large proportion need to have symptoms so much depends on how many catch it. A large proportion will be over 65. We appear to be able to do a rather low number out of hospital tests at the moment. And probably something like 8k in hospitals.

A lot don't like Cummins - simple fact. Boat rocker like Trump. However given what is in the press and him I would go for herd immunity followed by oh dear I hadn't thought about the effects of that.

This would also explain the look on the head science man's face when he mentioned it in a brief adding we are relying on that as well. I don't think it would be the sort of thing he would back.

Sponsored Links
A lot don't like Cummins - simple fact. Boat rocker like Trump. However given what is in the press and him I would go for herd immunity followed by oh dear I hadn't thought about the effects of that.

This would also explain the look on the head science man's face when he mentioned it in a brief adding we are relying on that as well. I don't think it would be the sort of thing he would back.

The bottom line is that none of us have contacts at the heart of govt so can only rely on the press, which has been atrocious on both sides.
I wouldn't knock an advisor or MP for changing their minds as I suspect responses in any 'catastrophe' has to be fluid as the situation changes.

I note the WHO are praising Sweden for not going into lockdown and following the herd immunity route.

The bottom line is that none of us have contacts at the heart of govt so can only rely on the press, which has been atrocious on both sides.
I wouldn't knock an advisor or MP for changing their minds as I suspect responses in any 'catastrophe' has to be fluid as the situation changes.

I note the WHO are praising Sweden for not going into lockdown and following the herd immunity route.

I posted that way as both comments re Cummins will be leaks. Both of them can be correct and probably are.

Sweden isn't doing that. They had one of their lot on TV. The basic idea is that it will go on for a long time and needs co operation from the public. Best obtained by getting it on a voluntary basis. Sweden does have a good health service and I suspect their people do trust their government who do pretty sane things at times. They probably have cleaner politics than we have. ;) Can't read swedish but have worked there. People are a priority with them. No doubt about that.

On the other hand just maybe some death and etc is needed to persuade people to co operate. I don't think we will ever see all of the reasoning that has been used.

China has disappeared off our graphs. I don't think that this is down to not believing their numbers.

It also means deny or contradict.

A word meaning "to prove wrong" has been misused, especially by politicians, when they deny something without disproving it.

Politicians are very fond of saying "I have refuted those allegations" when they have simply denied them.

You can tell what impression they hope to leave in peoples minds because they don't like to say "denied"

A word meaning "to prove wrong" has been misused, especially by politicians, when they deny something without disproving it.

Politicians are very fond of saying "I have refuted those allegations" when they have simply denied them.

You can tell what impression they hope to leave in peoples minds because they don't like to say "denied"

Oh FFS.

refute
[rɪˈfjuːt]
VERB
refuted (past tense) · refuted (past participle)
  1. prove (a statement or theory) to be wrong or false; disprove.
    "these claims have not been convincingly refuted"
    synonyms:
    disprove · prove wrong/false · show/prove to be wrong/false · rebut · confute · give the lie to · demolish · explode · debunk · drive a coach and horses through · discredit · invalidate · shoot full of holes · shoot down (in flames) · blow sky-high · controvert · negative
    • prove that (someone) is wrong.
      "his voice challenging his audience to rise and refute him"
    • deny or contradict (a statement or accusation).
      "a spokesman totally refuted the allegation of bias"
      synonyms:
      deny · reject · repudiate · rebut · declare to be untrue · contradict · gainsay

++

What ever Fillyboy thinks they do a hell of a lot of that sort of things as words alter how people think about things. It's even used as a technique for altering people's thinking in businesses.

Last edited:
It was 'following the science' that delayed the shut down, had they listened to Dominic Cummings UK would have shut down a week earlier than it did.

More lies.

See how this is coming out now.

Neil Ferguson new modelling was released on 16th, before then it was do nothing - herd immunity all the way.

Only after his work did the Government suddenly change tack.

All scientists in the world were saying what is the UK upto. Out scientists were no more different. It was a Government decision - trying to hide behind the Science is more distraction and obfucation.

Last edited:

Scientists were not backing it.

Herd Immunity is an outcome. The plan was do nothing let it burn through the population. Then the modelling based on new data from Italy there will be over 500k dead. Their original plans was to do nothing and let 250k die. It's all in the data models they released.

Release the minutes of the Sage meetings.

Sponsored Links
Back