Ultracom firing up excessively in cold weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an Ultracom 15hxi condensing boiler installed in October 2008. It replaced a Baxi boiler, installed in the garage, which was about 14 years old. The Baxi did not have an inbuilt frost protection device; instead a Honeywell frost stat was wired alongside the boiler.
The new Ultracom was also installed in the garage and it was wired into the Honeywell stat as a secondary means of frost protection.
On cold nights the pump and boiler have been kicking in for long periods of time. Last night was exceptionally cold; outside it was -5 degrees and the boiler / pump ran for 2 hours, keeping us awake in the middle of the night because the indoor house temperature reached 22 degrees (whilst all heating controls were set to off). The boiler display showed 70 degrees during a spot check at 2.30am.
I shut off all radiator valves in the hope that more heat would return to the boiler quicker and the frost stats would no longer need to operate. 30 mins later the boiler / pump stopped.
As well as preventing sleep, overheating the house and costing money, I also have a sense that I am not in control of my own heating system!
Does anyone have ideas on how to prevent this situation arising:
Should the installer remove or bypass the Honeywell frost stat?
Is there a boiler fault (since the boiler temp is reaching well above the 35 degrees temp indicated in the user manual when the frost protection kicks in?).
Any help on my first post would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
A frost stat set to between 3 and 5 deg c should ideally be wired in series with a pipestat set to 30 deg c. This is unnessecary on the ultracom as it has integral frost protection off the flow/return ntc's which also prevents nuisance operation (similar to pipestat).

Thanks for the reply, Dangermouse. Are you saying that it is definitely a good idea to remove the Honeywell frost stat (because it could be a nuisance and may be causing my problem), or that it doesn't matter if it remains, since it does not do anything?
Excuse my ignorance, but I am not familiar with the terms 'ntc's' nor 'pipestat'.

Thanks for the reply, Dangermouse. Are you saying that it is definitely a good idea to remove the Honeywell frost stat (because it could be a nuisance and may be causing my problem), or that it doesn't matter if it remains, since it does not do anything?
Excuse my ignorance, but I am not familiar with the terms 'ntc's' nor 'pipestat'.

keep the frost stat and wire in a pipestat (so that the air temp must be below 5 deg C AND the pipe must be cooler than 30 deg c before the boiler will come on) this will prevent nuisance operation. Or you could disconnect it entirely if the boiler is installed at the only place where there is the likelyhood of frost damage. Simple.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back