Unable to find drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum but I'm not sure where's best to post this. We had an extension built a few years ago and the builder had a huge problem finding the sewer pipe to go into for the kitchen waste. I have now found out that he ended up going into the surface water drain that goes straight into the brook behind.

There are no manhole covers or rodding eyes anywhere but what we do know from the neighbours is that at some point in the past, the main drain run for the street (along the back gardens) collapsed and was diverted away from my property. So our house probably/possibly (??) goes straight into a main sewer which runs down a path along the side of the house.

We also know that the main sewer is 3m deep and the extension seems to have been built over the drop shaft!

My question is... how on earth do we find it? I'm assuming a sonar won't detect that deep? The only access would be to cut out the soil pipe. Would a camera be able to get down there and work out the direction of flow?

Thanks in advance (and apologies for rambling on a bit, just want to give the full picture).

Sponsored Links
Might have been better in the plumbing sub-forum, but you’ll probably still get the help in here. I would either get a local plumber/drainage person to investigate, or speak to your local water undertaker, as they’re responsible for a lot of drains.

I wouldn't speak to your water provider until/unless you are aware of the consequences of polluting a local water course - this doesn't mean don't sort it out - just be careful, eg buildings insurance/legal cover up to date etc.

Thanks for the replies. That's the purpose of my question really, just fact finding before it all goes official. We have been warned before by the environment agency about an earlier kitchen extension going into the river. Part of the reason for the new extension was to rectify this and now its worse because we've lost the only access point we had! The builder spent 3 weeks digging 3m deep channels looking for the drain before telling me he'd found it (i.e. gave up)! They company is no longer trading so I can't even go back to him.

Sponsored Links
You can purchase sewer records for your area which should tell you where the public sewer is located - price varies depending on who your water authority is, but they're about £30 where i am.
You could get a CCTV drainage company to come out to your property and survey the drains around your house - they'll give you a drawing showing the existing layout/direction of all drainage runs and sizes, along with a report and video footage of the survey confirming the condition

My question is... how on earth do we find it?
At 3m deep - Christ knows. You are better off speaking to a local drain survey/rodding company. Sounds like a nightmare even if you do manage to mark their layout.

The only thing a plumber could find is the phone number of a builder, when it comes to anything underground.

Pointless putting this in the plumbing forum.
You really are self centred and delusional

Is there a downstairs toilet? How close is it to the kitchen. Draw a plan of the ground floor of your property showing front and rear gardens.

Also ask your neighbours where theirs are and include these on the drawing. Happy sketching.

Also: Find an old neighbour who has lived in the area, they are normally full of good information.

Andy

Thanks. There's no downstairs toilet and its the kitchen drain that is the problem. The kitchen and extension are on reinforced concrete bases so no possibility of routing under there. The neighbour was there when the house was originally built and told me that the drain collapsed so they had to re-route it. She did seem very concerned at the time that we would have to dig up her garden and was very reluctant to go into much detail about it. I'm now suspecting it could be route A although that creates a bit of an elbow? Logically it would be B but no pipes were seen when the foundations were dug out so if it is, then there should have been a drop shaft I would have expected.

Drains.JPG

I think you are stuffed basically, unless you have a basic understanding of their direction. It would be an impossible task, randomly excavating soil whilst knowing that the drains are at least 2.5m down.

I'd move house.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back