Unable to Sister Joists Due to Utilities

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read a lot of really helpful stuff on her over the past three years as I renovate my 200 year old money-pit of a house..

I'm on to the bathroom, not a huge space, approx 3m X 3m. It has old hand cut elm boards of varying sizes and elm joists every 35cm. The board are beyond saving due to moisture and water in that room for many years, and poor maintenance, so I'm reluctantly lifting them to replace with 21mm PTG boards.

We know it's been messed around with, and not to a very good standard, so it came as no surprise that every joist has been butchered for utilities. I had planned to sister the joists to level them up and remove bounce, bit it's just not possible. I've got enough space to add some long one metre metal straps with bolts and an epoxy resin paste on either side of the joist, but I want to check if you think this will add any value or if it's a collosal waste of time and energy.

The floor has a bit of bounce, but no other signs of splitting, despite not much wood left on some ends(!). The floor must've been like this for 30+ years - and the joists are rock hard, to the point of being tricky to get screws in.

I'd value any comments and suggestions.

view

view

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back