Unblocking fireplaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We've recently moved into a victorian house. All the fireplaces have been blocked up with breeze blocks and plastered over (with a vent).

I'd like to open up some of them - I'm assuming I just chip off the plaster, then drill out some of the mortar and remove the blocks.
I know it sounds simple, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips about this job before I start?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Take everything out of the room so it doesn't get covered in dust/soot!!

When I removed one of mine firesurrounds and blocked it up i was pretty shocked at the size of the hole in the adjacent flue from downstairs...could get my fist in a couple of holes so was far from gas tight...I guess what I'm sayign is just be careful not to damage the adjacent flue...and one side opn mine was flat and the other at 45' opening out into the room so from the front the blocks look like they cover the fireplace opening equally, but they actually are patyl oin front of the adjacent flue..

Why are you opening some up?

Just carefully knock off a little plaster around the vent, and then gently knock through the surrounding blockwork. Once one block is out the rest should come easy. No drilling is necessary.

Typically, when opened, its best practice to sweep and smoke test all your flues - any problems with escaping smoke or blockages will require a camera going down.

Its also best practice to inspect the chimney stack, and its terminals.

The thin brickwork dividing the flues in the chimney breast is called a feather, or some local term.

Use the Search facility at the top of this page to read past posts and similar posts at the page bottom.

Perhaps come back here with pics once you have them open?

Many thanks for your responses. I'm opening it up so I can have a real fire, or put in a log burner at some point. Also, I'd like to reinstate a cast iron fire surround, like the ones that would have been there originally.

I'll let you know how it goes and maybe post a picture if I can.

Sponsored Links
If by "real fire" you mean an open fire then the builders opening dimensions could possibly be significantly different from the dimensions needed for a "log burning" stove.

Think long on this project: the fluing arrangements and the "cast iron fire surround" dimensions would have to be considered in conjunction with the above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back