Unblocking waste disposal unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I hope someone can help me please :D

We have a waste disposal unit, as part of the sink, which crushes food up, etc and gets rid of it. It is built in.

It as recently got blocked :oops:

Is there anyway/any tips I can use for unblocking this? And tool required, it is so annoying.

Thanks for any help all.

Sponsored Links
The reason why it has blocked is normally due to not having run the water long enough to remove the waste.

1. Only use cold water
2. Run water 15-20 seconds with waste disposal turned on (before putting waste into it)
3. Once you have finished putting food waste into waste disposal wait at least 30 seconds for the waste to be washed away.

To unblock your waste disposal, it will be blocked in the pipework after the waste disposal. So undo the pipe work and use a wet vacuum to suck out all the waste. Refit pipework back together and test.

Hope this helps, it not come back to be.

Andy

Thanks for your kind help. I will try this now and let you know if all goes well :)

No special tool required though?

Sorry, having just looked with a torch down the hole in the unit, I can see an old spoon lodged in there :cry: Is this hard to remove?

Sponsored Links
Make sure the power is turned OFF, before you put anything to access the spoon, a pair of pilers might help or one of the other half's cooking utensils. eg food tongs

Andy

Thanks for your help

I have turned the power off, but cannot access the spoon through the top as it is all bent up. Will I need to unscrew the unit from underneath?

To remove the unit, you need to turn the securing ring that is under the sink. The waste disposal normally comes with a 'bent' type allen key, but you have probably lost it by now. You can undo three securing screws that hold on the bottom ring under the sink. Then the securing ring will turn and the waste disposal will come down. It's heavy!!.

Hope this helps.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back