Uncomfortable toilet pan height.

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a male in my mid 80s and finding it uncomfortable in lowering myself onto the toilet. I'm aware of the "extensions" one can fit to the top of the pan but I suspect that they are unhygienic. The existing toilet pan height is 15 inches. Are there varying toilet pan heights?

Sponsored Links
You, or someone for you could easily build a platform to raise the pan.
I built several for your same reasons and it's very easy.

I'm a male in my mid 80s and finding it uncomfortable in lowering myself onto the toilet. I'm aware of the "extensions" one can fit to the top of the pan but I suspect that they are unhygienic. The existing toilet pan height is 15 inches. Are there varying toilet pan heights?
Depends on whether the outlet is horizontal or vertical through the bottom of the pan.

The top "extensions" are the cheaper option, can be padded for comfort and easily cleaned.

Or, a more expensive option, look at Burlington WCs and look for a high pan type.

Sponsored Links
my Dad used a toilet frame -you can get them with or without the additional seat riser

I know they dont look great but they do work well -my Dad struggled to get on and off -but with this he could use his arms

my Dad started with on without the additional seat, then had one with -I wouldnt say they are unhygienic

If you went to your GP, you could probably get one free from the NHS

1938_ea179687-f03a-40f1-8ef9-107adc3e8d81

Pretty sure I've seen old-style tall pans in the Armitage Shanks and Twyfords catalogues.

Not cheap brands, but have better flushes than some imports.

As an interim, you can get a sort of handrail frame that is very quick and easy to fit.

I concur with those above recommending the raising devices, my Mother has one on each toilet, plastic and easy to wipe down and keep clean. Speak to your GP/Occupational Therapist, Millbrook Healthcare provide such items on behalf of the NHS, free of charge.

I’ve installed a couple of “Throne” toilets which are about 4” higher than normal. (Throne isn’t a brand name it’s just how we describe them at the plumbing merchants).

My Mum had two of the seat/ frame type and they really helped.

you could also get a hinge down/ fixed side rail that could help get you up off the 15” loo?
Technically a tall loo is a bad position for a good bowel movement. We are designed to squat and most loos almost require a big pair of 70’s platform shoes to shove your knees higher.

Many thanks for all your replies. I think I will have to look for a frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back