Under Floor Heating - costs per area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is it true that the cost per area for UFH decreases significantly the larger the area is? I'm sure I read somewhere that for example adding UFH to the second floor of a house would not be that much more expensive than having just the ground floor done because the initial outlay costs are the same. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

I'm having UFH added to a new kitchen/lounge extension and I'm considering whether it's worth having it added to other areas of the existing ground floor.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Well first off are you talking about electric or water UFH ?

I can only speak for water so here are my comments .

If you include the boiler in system costs, then obviously anything beyond the initial circuit doesn't include this as a cost, but apart from that my opinion is that the pro-rata cost will be nearly the same.

Every extra m2 will require insulation, piping, screed, labour etc, and so will remain the same cost.

All the one-off costs like transport, site-visits for quote etc will be spread over a greater number of m2 so that will reduce costs a little and maybe a bigger job will make your contractors quote a little more keenly/allow you leeway to negotiate.

Materials are a major cost in UFH so your larger system will cost you substantially more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back