Under floor heating - Egg Crate or Stapled directly to Insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Potentially looking to install Under floor heating in an extension, not sure which of the 2 methods to use?

Plastic Egg Crate or Clipped/Stapled directly to Insulation.

I'm getting conflicting advice from people at the moment. I know clipping is a lot faster and cost effective, but any down side? Subbies will naturally have their own preference, but what's the better method?

Is the extra cost of egg crate method justified?

I'm going with a liquid screed, so the pipes will be 100% covered with the screed.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Im assuming you are talking wet underfloor heating?

I would recommend al pex pipe -it bends and stays where its put much easier. In which case the clips work fine.

Clipping actually takes longer than eggcrate.
It is cheaper as you dont have to buy eggcrates. My last job used 425 floor panels at £7-8 each. Total cost of the underfloor was about 10k. But you do save on labour as its much quicker and easier to route the pipes in the crates. We did entire house in 3 days. Including 5 manifolds with two of us.
The cheaper systems use Pex pipe which is horrible to lay off a reel and very slow compared to Polyplumb barrier or ultraflexible ufh pipe.
Ive got reels of 32mm Uponor mlcp on my next job not looking forward to it.
Get your controls, wiring centres and actuators direct of Heatmiser.

Sponsored Links
Sorry was just a comparison of unreeling pex/mlcp/polybutylene rolls.
32mm mclp is 3mm wall so effectively 28mm diameter used for supply pipes to ufh manifolds and domestic supplies to bathrooms.
Not used as underfloor heating pipe lol.. Although the ufh pipe is 20mm on the same job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back