Under-tile heating question.....

Sponsored Links
Moz

hope you got a fully qualified electrician to sign that work off as competant ?

or else you will never sell your house without ..lol

I am indeed a time served Electrician of some 25 years and now Part P qualified. But I am not a Tiler :p

Christian and Beccy,

I am sure everything will be fine as long as you have used flexible adhesive between the Tiles and backing board with the heating cable in between. I do hope you located the controls outside the bathroom as well as the Spur power supply...and fed it from an RCD. Hope it goes well.

Thanks Job_n_knock. I do indeed plan to locate the stat outside the Bathroom and and the connection will be made to the consumer unit by a good friend of mine who is a qualified electrician. I merely plan to lay the cable and run the wires.

Thanks again!:cool:

No doubt Moz the almighty will find fault in there somewhere. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Job_n_knock

just pointing out the pitfalls if you were not a qualified sparky, as you must have seen some horrendous bodge jobs in your time ? :) :) ;)

Christian and Beccy

*shakes head sadly* ...oh dear ...:)

Hi

As novices we didnt know any better either and are soon to embark on putting travertine down. In our last project, the flooring was 'treated' T&G chipboard which we were advised would be fine! We had a guy come in and do the fitting and tile laying, including underfloor heating. We didnt use installation boards. It all worked a treat and we had no problems, no failures etc.

I would appreciate some constructive comments regarding the treated chipbaord, rather than an off the cuff 'bodge job' statement! Why is it not recommended? I thought that being treated it would be ok? Can someone enlighten me?!

Cheers and thanks in advance

F

fatgaz

"rather than an off the cuff 'bodge job' statement!"
Oh Dear ...teehee
well then ...if a jobs not upto spec its a bodge job.... or incorrect substrate ...is that better saying for you ...lol

you had a guy come in an do a similar bodge job ,

constructive comments

"*treated* chipboard... "
ask any tiler what he thinks ...bleurgh ..lol

"Why is it not recommended?"
guys who trade on a good reputation DONT lay a cr*p substrate ...

"I thought that being treated it would be ok"
no its ok for the cowboys to stick in you house,an the two clowns above as a cheap an cheerful job ..an produced for that fact to conmen to sell to the gullible ...

stick ply down ... jobs a good un ..

btw
fatgaz
you dont want to get *into* this with me ...as I have lived an breathed this job for many years ..Yawn ..lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back