Flooring under tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Refurbing my bathroom which currently has timber joists covered with 25mm thick T&G wood floor boards, and had a carpet down on that.

I want to tile (slate actually) the floor and have seen suggestions that the floorboards should be replaced with marine ply, and other suggestions of just fixing a 6mm tile backer board on top of the existing floor boards. I don't really want to increase the height of the floor too much, (bearing in mind the slate is 10mm thick), and the floorboards aren't great, so I'm happy to rip them all up and start again from the joists.

Just wondered what my best option would be to keep the finished floor height as close to the existing as possible?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
25mm WBP plywood or 18mm WBP plywood, (maybe) solid strutting and 6mm Hardibacker (cement board)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back