Underfloor Cooling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been reading that an underfloor heating system can be used for cooling as well.

I'm sure it's not as effective as an air-conditioner, but if it can lower the temperature by around 5 degrees, then I'm very interested.

Does anyone know how to achieve this?

Sponsored Links
Fill with glycol and connect to a refrigeration unit. Bit like they do with ice-rinks ;)

Heat has the habit of rising so the best you'd get is a cold floor. I think someone once had the idea of running heating pipes in ceilings to heat the room below. Apparently it was installed in a few places but I've never actually seen it. Guess it didn't catch on cause it was a carp idea.

Sponsored Links
Heat has the habit of rising so the best you'd get is a cold floor.

Heat doesn't rise, warm air does, it's called convection.

Radiant ceiling panels have been around for years; they work by radiation mainly.

The UFC can't achieve as much cooling as conventional AC. You need to keep the flow temperature above the dew point.

A drop in air temperature at the same air moisture content causes a rise in Rh, which makes the room feel stuffy and uncomfortable. You'd need a conventional AC system to control the humidity.

Positively lethal if you have a tiled or stone floor..... Chill the floor and condensation will form making it as slippery as hell.... under timber or carpet and it wont be long before things start to rot... Like the heated ceilings, they tried chilled floors.. didn't work.... Stick to cooling and dehumidifying the air..

Positively lethal if you have a tiled or stone floor..... Chill the floor and condensation will form making it as slippery as hell.... under timber or carpet and it wont be long before things start to rot... Like the heated ceilings, they tried chilled floors.. didn't work.... Stick to cooling and dehumidifying the air..

Only if you allow the flow temperature to drop below the dew point, as I had stated.

The technology is used in chilled beams but it requires an air supply AHU to dehumidify the air. It needs BMS control and is not practical for most domestic applications. It may be more relevant in climates where they have hot dry summers. High humidity is more uncomfortable than high temperatures in a UK summer.

Only if you allow the flow temperature to drop below the dew point, as I had stated.

The technology is used in chilled beams but it requires an air supply AHU to dehumidify the air. It needs BMS control and is not practical for most domestic applications. It may be more relevant in climates where they have hot dry summers. High humidity is more uncomfortable than high temperatures in a UK summer.

Precisely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back