underfloor heating - are these kits any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://nextday.diy.com/app/jsp/product/productPage.jsp?productId=44156

Looking at putting underfloor heating in conservatory, laid underneath decking (raised just enough to run the piping)

Has anyone got any thoughts on using a kit like that one above, bearing in mind this is a DIY project.

I'm pretty handy with plumbing etc, but wondered if it's best value / easiest to just get a kit as opposed to all the individual elements.

Also not sure why it comes with a pump - assume i don't really need this as it's running off central heating / combi boiler?

Sponsored Links
the pump is there to pump the water round the pipework :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
a few £ cheaper http://www.screwfix.com/prods/44156...ating/JG-Speedfit-Underfloor-Heating-Pack-20m

I have never fitted one but can only think why does it need a pump? I would think that all you need to do is connect it to your heating system as an extension, all you would need then is the pipe and fixings.

But like I say never fitted one, it should not affect your flow and return etc.

thanks, yeah that's what i thought? surely the heating system pumps the water... i might give the manufacturer a call :)

thanks, always good to save a few quid, although wasn't aware you ened a gurt great mixing manifold! might have to re-think where the install can go to hide stuff like this.

Hence why you also need the pump. The water has to be blended to bring it down to a suitable temperature for use with UFH, while still keeping a good temperature on the rads elsewhere on the system. It makes sense if you think about it - how would you fancy walking around on a floor whose surface got as hot as your radiators?

thanks, always good to save a few quid, although wasn't aware you ened a gurt great mixing manifold! might have to re-think where the install can go to hide stuff like this.

Hence why you also need the pump. The water has to be blended to bring it down to a suitable temperature for use with UFH, while still keeping a good temperature on the rads elsewhere on the system. It makes sense if you think about it - how would you fancy walking around on a floor whose surface got as hot as your radiators?

very true... it does indeed make complete sense :)

Also be aware that in order to comply with Building Regs. the heating system in a cons. must be capable of being independently controlled & isolated from the primary heating system in the rest of the property.

Also be aware that in order to comply with Building Regs. the heating system in a cons. must be capable of being independently controlled & isolated from the primary heating system in the rest of the property.

cool, i think that's also why these ktis are like they are. very easy to isolate off or control temp independantly.

i've got a utility room that backs onto one side of the conservatory where the boiler is so reckon i can hide the gubbins in there with easy isolation & run pipes through the wall under cons. floor.

Would be interesting to read feedback as job progresses and some time later after the system has been well used.

Can already see holes at this early planning stage.

Would be interesting to read feedback as job progresses and some time later after the system has been well used.

Can already see holes at this early planning stage.

Holes... Such as?

Nothing like sitting back & letting me make mistakes :)

I am not sure but most people say that underfloor heating works best when there is some sort of heat sink ie large mass to store the heat in the floor.

so it works really well inside a concrete screed 75mm thick on top of insulation. The concrete heats up and stores the energy.

Putting it under decking means you will need to think through where the heat si stored. I think you can fit metal plates to store the heat.

You need to check that out I think.

I am about to fit one myself so feeling nervous!!

best
tommy b.

you dont store the heat you transfer it through plates or through the mass of the cement screed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back