Underfloor heating for new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having an extension built and need to heat a 3m x 3m room. I have no gas at my property so no 'central heating'. Just economy 7 storage heaters in the other rooms.

I thought, that for simplicities sake that I could install a 150/200watt (pmsq) underfloor heating mat type system. Would this be sufficient to heat the room in winter without any other heat source? and can anyone recommend a manufacturer as I have found loads of systems online with varying prices all claiming to be the best.

FYI the floor is a suspended timber floor, and will be insulated underneath, so will it require additional insulation boards?

Many thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
An air-source heat pump would be better.

Wood is a good insulator, so not an ideal material to cover heating elements with. Will 1350 - 1800W be enough for the room with all that lagging over the heating?

How hot will the floor surface need to be to deliver the right amount of heat into the room?

Approx 30-40p/hr running costs

Thanks Ban,

I was going to put the heating mats on top of the wooden floor, not under it, then lay carpet over the top. Is that possible?

I appreciate that they cost more to run but no one is home during the day when they are actually hot and by the time people are home in the evenings they have started to cool so thought maybe heat mats would be better so they can be switched on late in the afternoon/early evening and provide heat during the night and early morning before everyone goes out to work/school.

Are Air source heat pumps expensive to buy and install?

I was going to put the heating mats on top of the wooden floor, not under it, then lay carpet over the top. Is that possible?
What do the makers say?

And a layer of underlay and then carpet is also going to be a pretty good insulator.

Are Air source heat pumps expensive to buy and install?
You'd only need a small one for a room that size. We have some A/C experts here, but my guess would be that a reputable make of split unit could be installed for well under £1K.

Sponsored Links
Yes but definately not a good idea

Stilletto heel or any sharp object could puncture through carpet and damage the heating mat. The sharp object might make contact with a live wire and create a shock hazard.

Electric underfloor heating is only really designed to warm your bare feet. Its not designed to provide space heating.

You would be better with panel heaters, or storage rads with an additional convector facility.

Have a look at Dimplex site. there are room heating planners that will help you/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back