Electric Underfloor heating in Conservatory.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are having our current conservatory replaced with an ultra frame insulated roof and the latest windows. Due to having micro bore central heating we are unable to fit a rad. we like the idea of the underfloor heating as it leaves all the wall space free. We have be quoted for 10mtr sq of 200watt per sq mtr matting on top of 10mm of insulation , question is will this actually heat the room as have read various reviews saying it won't. Will have porcelain tiles on top. Room is just under 3 by 4 mtr.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Fitted it in mothers wet room and a waste of money, main problem is time, it takes ages to heat up and cool down, so needs to be on 24/7.

Plinth heaters or other fan assisted for rooms not used 24/7 is way to go, small and fast heat up times.

I have a Myson fan assisted radiator on micro bore yes says should use 15 mm but mine on 10 mm and works fine.

Radiators can be fitted to micro bore central heating. After all your existing radiators are. You wouldn’t be able to spur off another’s pipe but you could go back to the manifold.

Bear in mind that heating by electricity is three times the cost of gas.

My conservatory- lean to, all glass- came with 'free' ufh. My wife can't/won't wrap her head around the fact that that we are using it to heat the town. Worse, she ignores the fact that turning it up to 35 degrees just warms the town a bit more, and not us! We now use an expensive Dyson fan (cos it looks nice) to get us up to 25 degrees when it's minus 5 outside in January. I despair.

Sponsored Links
May be an idea to put some sockets near where wall hung heaters could go in the future, for when the underfloor heating goes beyond easy repair, as it can do.

get her a coin-in-the-slot meter for the circuit that feeds the UFH

I am getting the feeling under floor might not be the way to go LOL. I have plenty of sockets I can run a wall mounted heater off but it needs to be narrow (700mm) and tall any recommendation?.

The original position for my Myson fan assisted was centre of the house, needed more heat in the living room, so replaced Myson with a standard double panel tall radiator and T'd off it and put Myson further down same wall and it has worked that way with micro bore for some 20 years, so yes you can T off micro bore.

well I have had a recommended plumber round and he has said its not a good idea as either the rad in the conservatory wouldn't get very warm or the lounge one wouldn't .

All pipes are in the walls and the manifold is upstairs and the other side of the house so not really practical.

You are aware that when fitted heating is installed in a conservatory it suddenly get reclassed as living accommodation?

And you think electric UFH is not classed as 'fitted'?

It's not supposed to have insulated walls and roofs either but that one seems to have gone by de wee with current energy conservation requirements.

well it is but independent of the rest of the house heating system as would a wall mounted one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back