Under floor electric heating, which insulation board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to install about 4 SQ Meter of underfloor heating in my kitchen and my sub-floor is concrete but will have tile on finish.

Can anyone tell me apart from heating mats what else I need, though not sure which watt is suitable.

Also what type of insulation board and where is the best place to get them.

Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to install about 4 SQ Meter of underfloor heating in my kitchen
Why?

Can anyone tell me apart from heating mats what else I need, though not sure which watt is suitable.
1W = 3.41BTU/h.

How many do you need?

What do the installation instructions say?

Will you mind having a step up into the kitchen?

When you apply for Building Regulations approval, what will you say will be the way you'll ensure your work complies with Parts L and P of the Building Regulations?

I'm trying to install about 4 SQ Meter of underfloor heating in my kitchen
Why?

1W = 3.41BTU/h.

How many do you need?

What do the installation instructions say?

Will you mind having a step up into the kitchen?

When you apply for Building Regulations approval, what will you say will be the way you'll ensure your work complies with Parts L and P of the Building Regulations?

The idea behind this is to warm the floor during cold months, along the path of kitchen cabinet.

The kitchen is flat floor so no step.

Have not bought the heating mat yet, so don't have instructions.

The idea behind this is to warm the floor during cold months, along the path of kitchen cabinet.
I've got a tiled kitchen floor, on concrete - can't say I've ever noticed the floor being too cold to stand on.

But then I don't go barefoot in there - do you?

You're thinking about doing something which will not be cheap and will be disruptive (assuming you don't want an unreliable and illegal job) - are you sure you need it?

Not yet.

But after you've added insulation?

OK, but you need to look at likely requirements for insulation and think what you'd do, particularly regarding Part L compliance. Approved Document L1B will tell you what K value you need to achieve. Major insulation manufacturers such as Kingspan, Celotex, Knauf etc will probably have guides to which of their products are suitable for UFH, and what construction method you'll need to put tiles on top, e.g. a screed layer.

All of that will need to be detailed in your application for Building Regulations approval, as will the electrical aspects.

Sponsored Links
I've got a tiled kitchen floor, on concrete - can't say I've ever noticed the floor being too cold to stand on.

But then I don't go barefoot in there - do you?

You're thinking about doing something which will not be cheap and will be disruptive (assuming you don't want an unreliable and illegal job) - are you sure you need it?

Not yet.

But after you've added insulation?

OK, but you need to look at likely requirements for insulation and think what you'd do, particularly regarding Part L compliance. Approved Document L1B will tell you what K value you need to achieve. Major insulation manufacturers such as Kingspan, Celotex, Knauf etc will probably have guides to which of their products are suitable for UFH, and what construction method you'll need to put tiles on top, e.g. a screed layer.

All of that will need to be detailed in your application for Building Regulations approval, as will the electrical aspects.

Yes the Mrs walks bare feet in the house, is keen have it, she thinks it's a simple job. Will the floor go higher after installing the heating mat, so not aligning with the hall floor?

Is it too difficult to level the floor after installation with the rest of the room?

She had seen other's people's kitchen and was impressed and wanted to do the same.

Also did not know that you need building reg to do that.

Might temt Mrs to abandon her idea if it's too expensive and hassle, she could slippers to go to the kitchen during winter months! :LOL:

Yes the Mrs walks bare feet in the house, is keen have it, she thinks it's a simple job.
It's not.

Will the floor go higher after installing the heating mat, so not aligning with the hall floor?

Is it too difficult to level the floor after installation with the rest of the room?
Is the concrete slab already properly insulated? If not it's not the thickness of the heating mat which is the problem, it's the insulation and screed you'll have to add, which as well as creating a step will mean all the kitchen units and appliances have to come out and then be reinstalled on the higher floor.

Yup - UFH is notifiable.

Might temt Mrs to abandon her idea if it's too expensive and hassle, she could slippers to go to the kitchen during winter months! :LOL:
They are a great deal cheaper.

Yes the Mrs walks bare feet in the house, is keen have it, she thinks it's a simple job.
It's not.

Will the floor go higher after installing the heating mat, so not aligning with the hall floor?

Is the concrete slab already properly insulated? If not it's not the thickness of the heating mat which is the problem, it's the insulation and screed you'll have to add, which as well as creating a step will mean all the kitchen units and appliances have to come out and then be reinstalled on the higher floor.

Yup - UFH is notifiable.

They are a great deal cheaper.

Thanks for the reply.

At the moment we're renovating the whole house, the kitchen is completely stripped of all cabinents and is bare.

She was thinking of just having the heating mats along the walking path of the kitchen, instead of the whole kitchen. But from what you're saying it means it'll create a step, even if it does not need screed, just using the insulation board and mats.

Would have fitted a raditor but not enough space, as we have knocked a wall through to make a kitchin diner.

We don't want to end up with an un-even kitchen floor and not aligning with the dining and the hall way floors.

Is there any simpler alternative, apart from wearing slippers :)

UFH in a kitchen is a waste of time & you’ll be shelling out a disproportional amount of money for very little or no gain. Neither is it practical as a secondary heat source because of the warm up time which at best is going to be around half an hour, have you though about how you’re your ensure it’s on when she wants to warm her feet! A varying lifestyle generally makes this impractical & kitchens are usually hot enough places as it is once they get going. I know at least two friends that went to all the trouble & expense of having it fitted (legally) & they never use it for the above reasons.

My oil fired boiler is in my (largish) kitchen so that helps but I have no radiator in there, just an electric plinth heater which will do all your need. We have tiled floor over concrete & also walk around barefoot most of the time & it's never cold, if you’re Mrs. has cold feet, buy her a pair of slippers! :LOL:

Thanks fellas,

Managed convice Mrs that WFH is not worth it, instead we could investigate electric plinth heater. Will save a lot of money by not going forward with it, as we're nearly bankrupt with the house renovation :cry: expenses.

Get a central heating heated plinth heater. It'll be much cheaper to run. You could wire it up so it comes on and off with the central heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back