Underfloor heating for suspended floor with large void

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house, built in the 60s, is built into the side of a hill, so it's effectively two storeys tall with the bottom storey being built into the slope and uninhabitable.

The second storey, with the living accommodation, has a suspended timber floor. Therefore at the front of the house the void is going to be roughly 14 feet, whereas at the back of the house it's maybe 2-3 feet.

I'd like to get underfloor heating as I find it more pleasant and have had 5 quotes. 1x said it's a terrible idea, 1x said it's not a great idea and the other 3x said no problem. All 5 were willing to do the job though.

One quoted for a dry screed, the others either the aluminium plate system or the boards you slot the pipework into. All would install battens, PIR insulation or mineral wool, then the plumbing, then the flooring.

My question is, is there someone I can pay to give me an independent assessment of whether it's a good idea or not? The one that said it's a terrible idea believes (even with insulation) that the heat will just go down into the ventilated void and the gas boiler will be on 24/7. That has scared me a bit. He said he would still do the job but recommended against it. As the others were OK with it, it made me wonder who is being honest?! It's not like someone to talk themselves out of a job surely?

If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. Maybe you've done something similar and it was a disaster or it was great?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ask NuHeat to quote on it. Whilst they aren't independent as they are a supplier, they do offer a guarantee that their system will achieve the desired room temperature. If they don't think they can provide you with a system that will work as you would want it to, they will refuse to quote. They'll be able to advise on what kind of floor preparation may be required in order to achieve the desired result as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back