Underfloor Heating General Question and Wiring Concerns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've done a lot of searching on the forum and can't seem to find comprehensive answers to my concerns, so I'm hoping you guys can help.

We're considering underfloor heating in the bathroom which is on the ground floor. 2m wide x 2.6m long x 2m high, concrete floor i think.

The only electrics in place at that end if the house are lighting circuits so a new wire will need to be run about 10m from the basement on its own RCD, under the floorboards and down the back of the kitchen units to the bathroom to allow the wiring of the UFH.

1. Should, in this circumstance, the supply cable be buried in the wall on its route from the basement to the bathroom? Or can it be fixed to the wall?

2. Also, does the installation of UFH have to be declared to my local planning office or whoever you declare this stuff to?

3. I did some rough calcs and the rad in there at the moment outputs approx 425w and the underfloor outputs 450w so the room should be quite warm without the radiator in theory.

4. Can the thermostat be fitted inside the bathroom so that air temp can be monitored rather than using the floor probe? I'm guessing the answer is no, but wanted to check.

All wiring would be done by an approved Sparky.

Thanks in Advance,

John

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The only electrics in place at that end if the house are lighting circuits so a new wire will need to be run about 10m from the basement on its own RCD, under the floorboards and down the back of the kitchen units to the bathroom to allow the wiring of the UFH.

Or I could go with a fused spur from one of the upstairs circuits possibly? Might be over thinking this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back