Underfloor heating not circulating!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
Hopefully somebody will be willing to help me with this issue?

I have bought and installed a underfloor heating system.

I have followed all of the instructions on installing and priming it and I am satisfied that I have done a good job!

however, the system does not seam to circulate!

I have 2 zones, both with two “loops”
So, I have a 4 way manifold.

With everything switched on and working, the flow through the indicators is really low, at around 0.5LPM. That’s with the flow valves fully open! Doesn’t seal enough to me.

however, if I open the drain valve on the return manifold and let the water escape into a bucket, the flow rates immediately shoot up to 2 or 3 LPM.

it seams to me like the mixer valve isn’t letting the water return from the lower manifold. It’s almost as is there is a blockage!

It was all new equipment and I filled the whole system with clean water.

Any suggestions from anyone please?!?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Check for a kink in the pipe, or a restriction somewhere

Thanks for that.

I had those thoughts?

But I’m confident that the pipes are all good cuz as I say, when the system is running and I let the water out of the drain tap, the flow indicators go high and everything flows perfectly

I have been manually opening and shutting each zone with the screw caps to find the issue. I can open all four loops together or isolate it down to just one and It makes no difference to the outcome. The flow rate is poor! But if I let it drain into a bucket, they are brilliant.

It just seams like the mixer valve won’t let it go back!

or the pump is weak?

The pump is a GRUNDFOS UPM3 Auto.
it has loads of settings like proportional pressure, constant pressure and constant curve!

I haven’t touched it, but It’s currently on proportional pressure 3.

Anyone know if there is a better setting to get the pump to push and work harder?!

thanks

Have you disconnected the mixer valve, checking for debris?

Sponsored Links
Hi!

yep, that was the first thing I did!

All clear!

right....... I think I have found the answer to the problem!

I just played with the motor settings and put it on “Constant curve - max” and the flow indicators have shot up!

so, it’s a pump setting issue!

should I leave it on this setting?

Or which one of the other 11 settings is best?

thabks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back