Underfloor heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted Quick Net electric underfloor heating last year, it's suddenly stopped working. Had the multi meter on it and it appears that current is going to it so it's not likely to be the floor stat that's gone.

So, what are my options rather than digging up the entire tiled floor, is there any equipment available that can detect the area where it's faulty as I can just about face having to remove a handful of tiles but not the whole room. :(

Sponsored Links
you are generally not allowed to cut or repair underfloor cabling, so even if you discover a fault, you will have to dig it all up.

make sure it is not the junction of the cold tails that is faulty

My mate does posh bathrooms and kitchens etc..
He had a warmatile system damaged by a tiler, they didn't discover it was damaged until the tiles were all laid.

Warmatile were able to find the break and repair the cable for £150 (I think) and only damaged 1 tile.

I'm sure others offer this service
-Dan

Sponsored Links
So you have checked that there is VOLTAGE going into the heating mat.

If you turn your multimeter to the ohms range, disconnect the heating mat connections and measure the resistance.
What value do you see? If it is open circuit you've got a break, somewhere.
How does this compare with the resistance measured when it was installed?

Again with your ohm meter, what is the resistance of the temperature probe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back