Underfloor heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all. I have a wet UFH system that seems to have stumped 4 plumbers etc.2 of the rooms just don't heat up at all. The other 2 zones do. Have a new pump , the last engineer said wasn't air locked..can adjust flow from 0 to 4 ltr/m but nothing seems to work. Any thoughts / suggestions much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Have you tried shutting down all zones except the defective ones?
Force all flow through each defective zone in turn, using the actuators, and see if the zones heat up!

g.m sir. I have yes...I also tried to purge that loop of air and when running the water thru got 4 ltr/m flow too...? I have the mixer at 45/50 degrees...
I have had the cold room running all day with the actuator removed..still nothing.

Sponsored Links
all the actuators are controlling the right rooms..if that's what you mean?

Without being there, I would consider...

• blockages in circuits.
• manifold problem
• actuator problem
• automatic/manual bypass allowing flow to take easiest route!

As Above... Without being there, it is a bit baffling!

Morning. Yes they have worked previously. As we're fine when my 1 kid slep there.

Hi. They have worked before. How would I know if there's a blockage? When I purged that loop the flow showed 4 ltr/m . How do I know if there is some bypass as mentioned above? Room still cold even if only one on

What problems can the manifold have? Not actuator as I have taken them off and let the system run ..

When shutting all other zones down, Can you feel any heat at the flow pipes to the said zones at the manifold location? Can you trace that heat by feeling the floor as you come away from the manifold? Is the system in screed or on insulation between joists on a suspended floor?

If there is any heat getting through from the motorised valve(?) to the manifold and then into the defective zones, you should be able to touch trace it!

yes the flow pipe to the "cold" room is very hot, the return comes back luke warm , does get a bit hotter when I turn the mixing valve up or the crank the flow right up..
screed I believe. haven't tried to touch trace the heat.i guess I can try that later. the way the floor and pipes are layed out its possible there might be a small section that goes across the hall and into the room..i don't recall feeling any heat following that path tho. the flow side of the manifold is really hot. the only way to get really warm return is to turn up the flow and the mixing valve wihcih I guess isn't the best idea

Once isolated, any of those UFH zones should fly through and heat should almost be the same at the return, as the flow!

Try seeing if the 'pins' on the actuators to those zone are sticking! Compare their positions to working zones. Try tapping them down gently and pulling them up. See if they free up and heat starts flowing through the circuit and manifold when other zones are off.

Maybe a power flush is required otherwise?

the thermometer on the flow shoe anything from 50-60 degress. when I have the mixer valve set to say 45 the temp guage on the return shows 30 ish at say 2 ltr /min. I know the difference should be about 8-10 degrees . the last plumber said he thinks by looking at the water in the flow gauges the power flush prob not needed. is it something I can do my self?

When all else fails a power flush has to be considered!

Unless there are kinks in the circuit when it was installed or constricted but not pierced by later works that could have affected them... Bottlenecks in the circuit!

It does seem to lead to crud in the circuit!

Can you feel heat by laying on the floors or is it just that those rooms feel colder? Are they poorly insulated, large windows? North corner of the house??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back