Underfloor heating problem

So, with both on the D/stairs heats up but on D/stairs only the flows are as was but no heat which IMO means boiler can't be running?

Sponsored Links
So, with both on the D/stairs heats up but on D/stairs only the flows are as was but no heat which IMO means boiler can't be running?

With just turning on any room down stairs with upstairs off, the manifold and pump kick in also the boiler but it never draws warm water through the pipes.

The boiler on but I don’t think any steams coming out of the flue

If the D/stairs is circulating water but if there isn't a temperature difference dT between the top manifold where you have a temperature/pressure gauge and the bottom, return manifold then the boiler "cant" run as there is no heat demand, what temperature is this .gauge showing with d/stairs running on its own vs with both running?

Sponsored Links
I
If the D/stairs is circulating water but if there isn't a temperature difference dT between the top manifold where you have a temperature/pressure gauge and the bottom, return manifold then the boiler "cant" run as there is no heat demand, what temperature is this .gauge showing with d/stairs running on its own vs with both running?

It just kicks the boiler in and no heat through the pipes comes no steams coming from the flue when on just down stairs.

Its possible, if unlikely that the flow/return pipes are incorrectly installed in the d/stairs UFH, what is its mixing (TMV) valve set to and with both systems on what is the indicated temperature (on the combined temperature/pressure) gauge and does the return (bottom manifold) feel substantially cooler than the top manifold?.

Its possible, if unlikely that the flow/return pipes are incorrectly installed in the d/stairs UFH, what is its mixing (TMV) valve set to and with both systems on what is the indicated temperature (on the combined temperature/pressure) gauge and does the return (bottom manifold) feel substantially cooler than the top manifold?.

Yes bottom bar feels a lot cooler than the top one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 17
There is really no reason IMO what that D/stairs shouldnt run on its own, assuming a flow/return of 46C/34C, dT 12C, and with a measured manifold of 15.0LPM then the UFH output/boiler demand is, 15*60*12/860, 12.56kw which should be way above the minimum output of any boiler so no cycling etc.
You might just take a set of (same) readings, flow meters, manifold temperature etc off the u/stairs when running both with the D/stairs on and when running on its own.

What boiler have you got, gas/oil? make/model, and if available, its flow and return temperatures.

It’s a gas boiler alpha. Readings picture with upstairs off !

The warm water pipe just goes completely cold within a few mins of shutting everything off upstairs and the temp just keeps droppping on the dial.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 18
It’s a gas boiler alpha. Readings picture with upstairs off !

The warm water pipe just goes completely cold within a few mins of shutting everything off upstairs and the temp just keeps droppping on the dial.
You are saying the d/stairs goes completely cold??? when u/stairs shut down. If so take a set of readings off the u/stairs with both on and a set with the d/stairs off, U/stairs on only. I want to see the U/stairs UFH demand when running on its own particularly (and also with both u/stairs & D/stairs on).

Yes when the upstairs his turned off and downstairs his left running. Running just upstairs with landing on

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 20
You are saying the d/stairs goes completely cold??? when u/stairs shut down. If so take a set of readings off the u/stairs with both on and a set with the d/stairs off, U/stairs on only. I want to see the U/stairs UFH demand when running on its own particularly (and also with both u/stairs & D/stairs on).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 23
So, just to be clear in my own mind, the U/stairs will run on its own, is that correct?.

If so can you take two sets of readings as requested
I am trying to see if the u/stairs heat demand is the same or more (when running on its own) than the d/stairs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back