Underfloor heating pump switching off after 2.5 hours and floor not getting warm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a wet underfloor heating system in my kitchen (35sqm) which is causing problems.

I had a grundfos auto upm3 l pump which was displaying pump blocked message. The deblocking screw was damaged so the whole pump was changed 2 weeks ago.

The plumber fitted an older grundfos pump 2 weeks ago but i still have a problem, not sure if it is the same problem. He is coming back to take a look but i wanted some advice in case he is barking up the wrong tree.

For the new replacement grundfos pump which i forgot the model number:

1) We put the underfloor heating on for 30 hours. The first 3 rows of tiles get warm but not the rest of the kitchen. The pump goes on and off every 2-3 hours. Sort of like it gets to a certain temperature, switches off to cool down then comes back on again.

2) I've set the heating to normal program of 3 hours am and 3 hours pm. The floor is not stone cold but certainly not warm, I still need slippers. The pump shuts off after ~2.5 hours. The pipes going into the pump are very hot until it switches off.

Normal radiators which are on a different zone work fine. The previous pump, when it worked, would heat up whole kitchen after being on 2 hours.

Can anyone advise what the problem could be?

1) Pump is inside a cupboard. Could it be over heating which is why it switches off after 2.5 hours?

2) why does my floor not get warm after 2 hours? Could it be a flow setting? Or the new older version pump is not powerful enough for my kitchen size?

3) if I leave the heating on 30 hours why do only the first 3 rows of tiles get warm?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back