Wet underfloor central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a 300M3 house on 2 floors with underfloor heating. The system has separate (external to boiler) circulating pumps which the previous owner ran 24 hours a day. He told me the boiler internal pump was not beefy enough to circulate the water. The boiler itself is a large condensing unit which seems to handle the demand. Do I really need to run these pumps all the time when the boiler itself operated from a timer unit? Or, could I time them to go off a couple of hours after the boiler has switched off. The ground floor is concrete. The boiler control does fire up the boiler if the house temperature drops below a set value, so what would happen if this occured say during the night when the pumps were off? I'm really thinking about the cost and wear and tear on these pumps or am I just penny pinching?
Any idea how much I should be paying in heating bills - Central Scotland, house empty during the day. Heating on aprox 3 hours in morning and 6 hours in the evening?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back