Underfloor heating with suspended floor and laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'd appreciate some advice on the following. I've tried to find existing info on this topic, but nothing specifically seems to answer my query.

I have a room part screeded and part suspended timber. Screed already has wet underfloor heating which I want to extend into the timber floor. Currently the level of the timber and screed floors are the same and I want to lay wooden flooring on top (probably with an expansion joint where the screed/timber meet). The wooden flooring will probably be 8mm laminate (existing floorboards are too poor to use as finished flooring)

I'm not sure what to do about the timber floor. I have aluminium spacer plates which I was going to fit under the existing floorboards following standard practice of insulating beneath. However laying laminate on top with an underlay between it seems might not be ideal for heat transfer. It seems my options might be
1. Lay alu spacer plates on joists followed by 18mm chipboard, underlay then laminate
2. Fit 18mm chipboard, cuts grooves into it so spacer plates can lay on top, lay plates then underlay then laminate
3. Lay spacer plates onto joists, followed by ply sheets (unsure of thickness but thinner than 18mm chipboard) followed by underlay and laminate (spacer plates on joists raised slightly with ply to maintain floor height)

All options seem problematic. 1 seems not good for heat transfer. 2 and 3 it seems would not give good floor strength. Any options I haven't considered?

Sorry for the essay, thanks in advance for any advice you can offer

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back