Underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you will see from my other posts I need to replace my old boiler with a new condensing unit (poss gloworm 18hxi).

The main reason for this is that we are extending the kitchen, and the existing boiler is on the wall that is to be demolished.

One problem that we have is that with the new kitchen there will be little room for radiators.

The wife doesnt fancy the idea of under cupboard heaters with perforated kick plates.

One option would be underfloor heating as we need to lift the floor (concrete) anyway. New floor will be tiled.

My questions to you gurus are -

1. Would I need to allow greater capacity boiler ?
2. Does it feed off a radiator supply or does it need a seperate pump etc ?
3. What do you think of trying to heat a kitchen this way ?
4. Would it cook the dog (sleeps in kitchen) ?

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I'm no guru - having problems myself.

A friend has installed his own underfloor heating in his kitchen. He has an open plan kitchen with a sort of conservatory/bay window in the same room. In comparison, my small kitchen heats up in 2 mins with the hob/oven on!

He installed the UF Heating as a seperate unit. It basically came in a box with pump, coolant, controller etc. and it all just push fits together.

Now, it doesn get warm in his house and his dog (sorry, cat) sleeps in the kitchen. He doesn't cook the cat as it's all on a timer, but i have to say, i wouldn't want to sleep on the floor. I've laid down and after a while, because you're in direct contact, it gets HOT. Even if it is low.

When you are standing on the floor, you don't notice it but if you lie down, there's no air circulation and you start to sweat. Dogs don't sweat but you may find pools of slobber everywhere.

Don't know what dog you have but consider a raised bed for him/her that would allow more circulation etc.

Saying that, our dog seeks out the pipes under the floorboards as they are warmer, and he'll lie along the heat for hours.

Hope that helps in some way.

Mr. Tickle.

Yes that is helpful thanks.

Do you know if it runs independantly of his central heating ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back